Over carbonated or infection ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mslauto

Reaction score
I need some help I just bottled 5gallons worth of my APA recipe , I used the whole 5oz package of priming sugar and for the 1st time used bleach (1oz to 4gal) to sanitize my bottles and equipment . I let them sit and now when I open them from fridge, they have a Hugh head and a lot if carbonation , I also get a stomach ache after a few sips. Any ideas?? I brewed then fermented then dry hopped with 1 oz leaf hops sat for 2 weeks with hops then bottled!

image-419951665.jpg

Likely not an infection, you probably over-primed. For the other part, you have to rinse the hell out of the stuff if you use bleach, but admittedly, the head in the picture looks fine. Are there bubbles coming off of the floor of the glass?

Oh yeah quite a bit.

I thought I rinsed enough !! Does over carbonation cause a stomach ache?

Not that I can remember on my stomach. Also possible some bottles rinsed out better than others. Your biggest problem is likely over-priming. I haven't used over 4 oz of priming sugar for any 5 gallon batch.

5 oz for 5 gallons is way more than you should have needed. I would recommend using a carbonation calculator. Beersmith's calc is my favorite but there are tons of other ones you can use as well. I would link them, but my work blocks all those sites ><

Never guess on your priming sugar!

5 oz for 5 gallons is way more than you should have needed. I would recommend using a carbonation calculator. Beersmith's calc is my favorite but there are tons of other ones you can use as well. I would link them, but my work blocks all those sites ><

Never guess on your priming sugar!

Here's one of the hundreds. I use Brewer's Friend

You likely should not have used more than 4oz tops. Live and learn. :mug:

How long have they been in the bottles...that is the MOST important question to ask when someone says they have inconsistant cabontation or gushers more importantly than those silly pet theories about sugar solutions, of similar densities not mixing during basic racking.

If it's been under three weeks, then it's gushing because the co2 isn't in solution fully and is coming out before the beer is really carbed, hence the fact that you say it's flat after.

We get this all the time from impatient folks who open their bottles WAAAAAYYYYYYY early. If you opened them at three weeks, or more, you never would have noticed.

If you watch Poindexter's video on time lapsed carbonation, you will see that in many instances, before a beer is carbed it may gush, that's not from infection, or mixing of sugars, but because the co2 hasn't evened out- it hasn't been pulled fully into the beer. Think of it as there's a lot of co2 being generated and most of it is in the headspace, not in the beer, so there's still "over pressure" in the bottle, so it gushes when it is opened.

But when the beer is truly carbed it all evens out, across the bottles.

On the other hand. If you've waited at least 3 weeks, and all the beer were fully carbed and conditioned for awhile, THEN they started gushing, you more than likely have a late onset infection. Either your batch is infected, or you have some issues with bottle sanitization or your bottling process, and you need to deal with the infection. Check your spigot and bottling setup for issues. Or in your fermentation process.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back