Glass carboy vs. plastic bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoopdogg315

Reaction score
I have both that were in the starter kit that I bought. Which do you guys prefer as your primary? Currently I'm using the carboy for my primary and in 3 weeks ill bottle.

What are yalls guys thoughts?

Well in kits like that they give you the bucket for primary and carboy for a secondary. Either use the bucket first and transfer, or leave it alone for the full time, or just use the carboy. I only use carboys personally. Seems more securely sealed to me.

The bucket's probably for bottling. I personally prefer plastic buckets for primaries.

I prefer plastic buckets, too. They are much easier to move around if needed. A 6.5 gallon carboy full of liquid is pretty heavy.

Buckets for sure... that and a conical fermenter. Having several buckets each of 5, 6.5, and 7.5 gal with spigots and dip tubes makes for some easy fermenting, sampling, and transferring. Think I siphoned one batch several years ago from a carboy, that was enough for me. Cool though for those who like using them....

I bought my starter kit from Austin homebrew with a 6.5 gallon glass carboy. After a few brewdays, and reading a few threads I decided to give Better bottles a try. I got the better bottles in a few days ago, but I've already decided to "retire" the glass carboy. I also plan on picking up a few Spiedel fermenters, after seeing all of the good reviews they've garnished.

The glass cleans very easily (not sure how easy the BB clean up). But for that trade-off, there are several aspects I don't like. For one, it weighs a crap ton (technical measurement), and it's much more fragile. they are also more expensive than the BB.

I know there are a ton of threads already on the BB vs carboy vs bucket debate. I would say go with what saves you the most trouble, and what you're most comfortable with. I spent some time going through carboy accident threads, and know I'm not comfortable with the possibility of it breaking and causing me to get stitches. It may be only a slight chance, but it's not a risk that's worth it to me.

I'm retiring the glass beast to the bedroom closet where it will be on apfelwein duty permanently.

MisterClean said:
I know there are a ton of threads already on the BB vs carboy vs bucket debate. I would say go with what saves you the most trouble, and what you're most comfortable with.

^^^^ this
I've got all 3.... and others, Buckets I use for beers I dry hop and additions, glass carboys for primary's longer than 2 months and better bottles for everything else I recently purchased an 8 gal food grade container that I primary 7 gal batches in and I'm picking up a 13 gal one, going to do a 11.5 gal batch in that. Get yourself a bottling bucket and use the other 2 for primary's so you can have 2 batches going at once!!

I'm a nube too, brewing my 4th batch this weekend. My first batch was with a bucket for my primary. Due to the inability to see the fermentation, I bought a 6.5 gallon glass carboy to replace it. I also transfer to a 5 gallon glass carboy for my secondary.

You said that your using your 5 gallon as a primary? While it's okay to do this, your yield will be low. You have the trub on the bottom which is waste...so you'll be bottling closer to 4 gallons.

I'm a nube too, brewing my 4th batch this weekend. My first batch was with a bucket for my primary. Due to the inability to see the fermentation, I bought a 6.5 gallon glass carboy to replace it. I also transfer to a 5 gallon glass carboy for my secondary.

You said that your using your 5 gallon as a primary? While it's okay to do this, your yield will be low. You have the trub on the bottom which is waste...so you'll be bottling closer to 4 gallons.

Most people don't bother with secondary there is like a gazillion posts on that.... just primary 3-4 weeks and your golden.. use that 5 gal carboy for some of Ed Wort's Apfelwein super easy to make... 5 gal's of apple juice and 2 lbs of corn sugar and a dry pack of Montrachet wine yeast... takes all of 15 minutes to make

You said that your using your 5 gallon as a primary? While it's okay to do this, your yield will be low.
Unless you scale your recipe up to 7-8 gallons and use two 5 gallon carboys. Much lighter and easier to handle than a bucket w/ 5 1/2 gallons in it. Easy clean with an OxiClean soak. Option of experimenting with different yeast, dry hops, wood . . .

My fermenting beer hasn't seen plastic since selling my Mr Beer on eBay six years ago. :D

You have the trub on the bottom which is waste...
hmmm . . . I always thought that stuff was yeast. Transfer to secondary a few days after fermentation ends and I've got plenty of fresh yeast for my next batch with no need for a starter.

disclaimer: Avoid transferring hop and break material into the primary and no dry hopping in it gives you clean yeast with a quick and simple rinse.

I sold all my Carboys because I did not use them....

My low gravity beers, (Bitters, Summer Ales, Northern Browns, hefewiesens) stay in the Plastic for 2 weeks.

My medium gravity beers (Pale Ales, ESBs) for 3 or 4 weeks.

My high gravity beers (IPA's and Trippels) for 6 weeks.

Then I prime and keg... any additional "conditining" takes place in the keg.

I brew ALES... and do not lager much.

DPB

My Hefewie

I know there are a ton of threads already on the BB vs carboy vs bucket debate. I would say go with what saves you the most trouble, and what you're most comfortable with.

Yeah, there are pros and cons of each choice. It all comes down to what works best for you.

I find buckets a lot easier to use these days, and hardly use carboys at all. One big reason is that I'm no longer comfortable carrying full carboys downstairs. (I brew in my kitchen or on the patio, and ferment in the cool basement).

There sure are! I used to use carboys mostly, but I'm a 135 pound weakling and I really like the convenience (and headspace for krausen!) of 8 gallon buckets. They are easier for me to lift and carry, that's for sure!

I usually ferment in a 8 gallon bucket with lid and airlock, and then package. I don't use a clearing vessel, and just leave the beer in the fermenter about 2 weeks. I even dryhop right in the bucket.

It all comes down to personal preference... I use carboys never buckets but that's just because it's what I have. Have 6 better bottles and 2 glass.

I've stopped transferring to secondary for the most part too.

I fermented in carboys for a long time, now I'm making the transition to fermenting in kegs. Doesn't bother me that I can't see it fermenting. Choose whatever you're comfortable with.

I love my 8 gallon primary buckets. I have two, one tapped with a spigot for bottling. I don't use my glass carboys anymore unless I absolutely need to have something in there (I recently had to split 8 gallons of skeeter pee into two of them so I could use the bucket for an ale).

If the carboy is 6.5 i'd say use that for primary. Easier to clean all of the trub when your done with it, u can see the fermentation as its going on, and if you get a big enough tube u can put it right into the top, instead of using a bung/stopper/cap for the blowoff.

Either way, def invest in one of these...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0064OEKCK/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Glass is slippery, no matter what your doing with it. Save ur feet and floor (and carboy) from an accident, these aren't expensive at all and will help with the transport.

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone here has said what I have read. From what Ive discovered is using buckets you need to mkae sure you are carefull when cleaning and storing to not scratch the hell out of it. I use buckets as primary becasue 1) Cheap 12 bucksish 2) Cheap 3) cheaper! I have 3 5 gallon bb that I use for secondary only. I dry hop in them and when I clean them I soak them in PBW over night to get all the crap out. NO BRUSH!! Scratches = hiding places for bacteria = nasty taste in your beer. Im also planing on getting 1 or 2 glass carboys. Reason, I found with kegging you can siphon out wort directly into keg by using co2 connections beer line connections. Similar to this:
http://morebeer.com/products/sterile-siphon-starter-3-5-6-65-gallon-carboy-smooth-necks.html

My vote is buckets on primary and just use caution when cleaning and storing. Oh and if they have spigots on them easier to transfer!

If the carboy is 6.5 i'd say use that for primary. Easier to clean all of the trub when your done with it, u can see the fermentation as its going on, and if you get a big enough tube u can put it right into the top, instead of using a bung/stopper/cap for the blowoff.

Either way, def invest in one of these...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0064OEKCK/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Glass is slippery, no matter what your doing with it. Save ur feet and floor (and carboy) from an accident, these aren't expensive at all and will help with the transport.

That would be like buying an automobile with out brakes :D thats a must have

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm new to brewing but... I use buckets
But... They have some issues for me.
I would like to see what's going on in the fermenting stage... Being a noob to this hobby. Did a 2 hearted clone on Sunday. Came home from work on Tuesday and the airlock was rollin... After 3-4 hours it was filled with hops... Glad I checked on her again... It must have been ragin. :rockin:

Like the fact they are easy to clean...

I have found that with the rim of a new bucket needs some love. After the first bucket I bought, I saw the rim of the bucket where the lid seats was a little unrefined, so I took a knife and trimmed away the little ridge left there after brewers best made the bucket... The lids have no gasket... Now seems to be air tight.
I do see a carboy in my near future.
Just my $.02

I started using buckets but switched to Better Bottles. I like them. Easy to clean and I like being able to see what's going on during the fermentation. I have a ferm chamber, so I don't worry about light causing problems. I only primary and I dry hop in primary. I usually primary for 1 month for all my beers.

I prefer glass carboys. Using an aquarium type strip thermometer gives you constant temperature monitoring, and the glass lets you see the beer as it is brewing.

I put the carboys into boxes, to keep the light off of them, and let them sit for 3 weeks. Keep handling to a minimum, since they are more dangerous, but you can limit it to filling the carboy, and siphoning off the carboy.

I do buckets. Have always done buckets. I don't ever transfer to a secondary. I only transfer to a bottling bucket when I bottle. It works for me. But I feel it is all a matter of preference. Do what you like to do and be satisfied in doing it your way. I don't feel that one makes any better or worse a beer than another. It's all about what you like.

Everyone here has said what I have read. From what Ive discovered is using buckets you need to mkae sure you are carefull when cleaning and storing to not scratch the hell out of it.

i have a couple plastic 8 gallon winemaking buckets and i mix clay finings with a paint mixer attached to a drill in them. They aren't harboring infections yet.

just clean and sanitize after scratching the hell out of them.

I still like carboys.

I prefer buckets simply for ease of cleaning, but I've also got a couple 5 gallon glass carboys that I used to use for secondaries, but have sort of gotten away from using secondaries and just going straight from primary to the keg after 3-4 weeks. So, I've used the 5 gal carboys a couple of time as primaries and they work fine too; and they're not that much harder to clean. It's all personal preference.

Buckets are safer. Almost cut the tip of my finger off cleaning a carboy when it slipped out of my hand. I've heard stories of other people injuring themselves far worse than that.

I now use buckets, but started off with better bottles. I never had much luck with the Better Bottles and spent too much money on them. For me, the ease of the bucket is a must. I could never go to a glass carboy, I am way too much of a klutz.

Not to hijack, but for those using the 8 gallon buckets, are those sold for wine fermentations?

No matter what you decide I strongly recommend you do a few batches in the carboy to watch what's going on (even if you must scale down the recipe to avoid blow-off). It was really important for me to learn, for example, that even if bubbles aren't coming through the airlock, there's still stuff going on, or watch the wort stratify while awaiting the yeast to kick in...or see when the beer starts clearing, or watch the dry-hopping hops pellets bob up and down (dance?) until they're all down...even witnessing a cold crash is valuable. I am more of a visual learner...seeing these things makes it easier for me to read and interpret the arguments at HBT (er, I mean discussions!) and at this point I've pretty much gone back to buckets.

I got lucky and started with this :)

mrbeer5-5.jpg

It was free.. and I wish I could find more like it.

guess i'm archaic. i ferment in glass and just don't like the happenstance possibility of polymer plastic or whatever unstable chemical mirgrating into my beer.

can't trust any corporate company that "claims" their product is safe. as for trusting the gubermint to announce what is safe or not is a joke...they ARE corporate!...:p
i know there are many folks who will debate the issue. fine debate if you will.
i know GLASS is safe. my clean up is not any worse than anyother clean up in the brewing hobby. carboy in milk crate with a hauler can't be beat.....folks complain about weight?...okay a carboy weights somewhat more than a plastic can but not enough to negate the advantages of glass. if ya can't handle the weight anymore and if so you probably are also challedged with the weight of brew in a plastic can , then use a wagon to move them around...or whatever you feel suits your need. also no need to worry about infections harboring in scratched plastic talking microscopic here......

use a spare 5lb CO2 bottle, some tubing, rack cane and a carboy cap to transfer....no air involved....or sludge transfer.

new car smell ? polymer migration into the trapped air in your car from the plastics and synthetics used for the interior.:(

debate on but infants have been find to have plastic collected in the bodies :(.....think about it,
plastic is everywhere.....glass needs to return for storage of food & drinks...the world would definitely reduce the need for oil if glass was brought back.
just my opinions....brew on in whatever you like ..........:)

GD :mug:

My kit came with a plastic bucket and a bottling bucket. No interest in a carboy. Buckets are easier to carry and clean. As long I hear activity in the airlock I know I'm good. Since I now keg my beer I'm going to use the bottling bucket as another fermenter.

I ferment in both glass and plastic, I have 2- 15 gal plastic fermenters, 2- 6.5 gal plastic, and 1- 5 gal glass and 1- 6 gal glass. They all work just fine. I usually lager in the glass but have used them for regular ale fermentations without issues. Whatever works for you. Most of the time I use the plastic buckets due to the handle and easy of handling around the house when filled.

beerloaf

Im in the better bottle camp and use the BB dry air lock system. I do have a glass 5gal and a 8 gal bucket for the big stuff.

Do you like the dry airlock? Ive been looking at those.

I cant tell you how much i like it. BB suck liquid using a reg air lock when you lift it. The dry air lock sovles this. I have about 10 batches using it and i like it alot. I do use Fermcaps and dont need a blow off tube anymore.

Ive been using buckets and glass, but I just received these twins! So, I will be going with these guys from now on

IMG_0240.jpg

Back