Raspberry Hefe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiskeyR

Reaction score
It's getting warm here in Houston and I want to brew a good Raspberry Hefe for the ladies to enjoy by the pool (life is good!). A couple quick questions for anyone who has done it:

1.) I plan on using frozen raspberries in the secondary. Is 2 pounds enough?

2.) I have a glass 5 gallon carboy to use for a secondary. Do I need to use a blow off, or will an airlock suffice? I'm of course using a blowoff for primary.

3.) Yeast suggestions? I was thinking White Labs Hefeweizen IV.

Any other suggestions or advice is welcomed.

I've done a couple fruit wheats and a Hefe last summer. My favorite beer and I drink commercial examples daily. I have also been doing a fair amount of research.

1. I have heard everything from 1-4 lbs, a few good examples use purees of around 2lbs. If I were to do it again, I would go three pounds raw fruit, cleaned, frozen then thawed and thrown into your primary after the attenuative phase (1 week in). 1 lb may not be noticable enough, and over 4 would be overkill in my opinnion. Waiting until the primary phase is complete ensures that the delicate flavors in the fruit don't get obliterated by the yeast during multiplication.

2. You won't need a blow-off for secondary. If you mean during primary fermentation, and you're using a carboy, then I would say yes. My hefe blew the airlock out and made a puddle. I reccomend choosing a primary and keep it in there for three weeks to avoid oxidation. Some may disagree, but no need to clarify a cloudy beer so 3 weeks in one vessel should suffice.

3. I've only used Wyeast Weihenstephaner Hefewezien yeast. 3068. Only one I can comment on, and I loved my hefe.

Back