Any experience with Lalvin D21 for a Melomel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeufelHundenM198

Reaction score
With this year's raspberry harvest, I'm planning on making another batch of raspberry vanilla melomel, and can get a pretty good deal on a bit of the D21. Last time I made it, I used D47, and added the berries and vanilla to the secondary. This time I'm planning on raspberries in the primary.

I've seen mentions of it here and there, but was curious if any of the resident experts could expand into the differences/advantages of this yeast vs. the usual yeasts more available for us homebrewers. :D

BUMP.

Not one person has made melomel using D21? :D
I've used D21 quite a bit, not with raspberry.

You may see mention of it, as its been established that its closest to the "maury" yeast written about by the late Brother Adam of Buckfast Abbey bee breeding and mead making fame.

Its a very good yeast for traditionals and if you looked up the characteristics is wines from the Maury AOC region (and the Rousillon AOC region which surrounds Maury) then you may be able to work out whether you like the idea or not.

Of course, HBT is more beer oriented so maybe you may have better luck finding mead/melomel specific guidance at a mead specific location......... erm ? like gotmead forums ?.......

Latest posts

Back