I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can I re-wire a battery operated fan that uses D batteries with AC? Perhaps with a transformer like you would a computer fan in a keezer?

Can I re-wire a battery operated fan that uses D batteries with AC? Perhaps with a transformer like you would a computer fan in a keezer?

What voltage and current (or wattage) does the fan require. Usually it's easier to find a wall wart to use.

When I was little I started my pillow on fire experimenting with electricity. A street light pole was hit by a car and I pulled the solar switch off of it and tried wiring it to my bedroom lamp. I thought it might explode so I put my pillow over it when I plugged it in. It exploded, sort of.

So, what I'm saying, is if you're not comfortable with electronics, at least cover it with a pillow when you plug it in :)

The thread has been returned to its former glory :mug: good to have you back Dan.

And now, to whoever it was that posted that link to baked potato soup those months back, I owe you a debt of gratitude. I've made that recipe at least 4 times since then, tonight being one of them. I've found that potatoes make a great cover for an obscene amount of garlic, which I love, and this batch I'm making tonight also had a massive sweet Texas onion in it. A nice crusty loaf of some bread from a local bakery, and a 2 year aged white cheddar to go on top and we are golden. I'm also going to drink this whole 4-pack of Boddington's pub ale. This morning was rough, but tonight is looking up!

It's like what Passepawn said.

On a side note. When I was a kid I had a neat electrical kit. You could make circuits, there were resistors, capacitors and stuff like that. Sort of like a Lego set but for electronics. It was pretty cool.

One day I decided to wire up a toggle switch for something, don't remember what it was. I was sitting on the couch toggle switch and screw driver in hand and a live cord plugged straight into the wall outlet. I accidentally shorted the leads.. Big spark, loud pop. Instant respect for electricity.

It's like what Passepawn said.

On a side note. When I was a kid I had a neat electrical kit. You could make circuits, there were resistors, capacitors and stuff like that. Sort of like a Lego set but for electronics. It was pretty cool.

One day I decided to wire up a toggle switch for something, don't remember what it was. I was sitting on the couch toggle switch and screw driver in hand and a live cord plugged straight into the wall outlet. I accidentally shorted the leads.. Big spark, loud pop. Instant respect for electricity.

Heathkit or Science Fair?

Dad worked at Western Electric and probably could have completed an EE degree. Turns out he gets called to come to the school and meet with the principal because his son was shorting out electrical outlets in the school with a comb and chewing gum wrappers. Wasn't one of my finer moments.:smack:

I remember as kids one time we put a blanket over the lamp so we could have some light, but parents wouldn't see the light on, late one night. It caught on fire. 4 screaming girls and dad to the rescue, he put the fire out in no time. I don't even remember if he asked us how it started.

Heathkit or Science Fair?

Dad worked at Western Electric and probably could have completed an EE degree. Turns out he gets called to come to the school and meet with the principal because his son was shorting out electrical outlets in the school with a comb and chewing gum wrappers. Wasn't one of my finer moments.:smack:

I'm guessing 150-in-1. Not only did I build every project in the manual, I still have one (actually a 160-in-1) today. Dunno why.

150inone.jpg

I'm guessing 150-in-1. Not only did I build every project in the manual, I still have one (actually a 160-in-1) today. Dunno why.

150inone.jpg
I played with something like that in high school. It was actually a bread board though. Sure was fun.

passedpawn said:

Cool... Battery operated, or AC? I could see it being AC if it was old enough, back when electrical shocks just built character instead of lawsuits.

150inone.jpg

That looks familiar. Wish I'd a kept mine. It was probably still stored in my Dad's attic when he passed. Everything was given away. Loving the wood frame! Today it is probably made all plastic, if even made still. :confused:

I'm hooked on the hot chick in the video.

But seriously. Where the heck can I get one of those cans of un-ending kerosene?
The same place you get the perpetual motion machine, and the blinker fluid.

An innocent Mickey Mouse... crap.. I feel a song coming on. M I C - K E Y! M-O-U-S-E.

Mickey Mouse!

Donald Duck!

Sorry. I got over that.

Opus, that is a heart rendering photo you posted there. Death and destruction and among it the innocent doll of a child's dreams. The world is a pretty effed up place... Very sad indeed. There isn't much to do about it other than make life good for yours and those you care about. There is always some A-hole who wants to take it away.

Ok, I have to ask. Where did you take an information warfare class?

That's a good question. Even if a class isn't taught I think living in this world we now own has plenty of lessons. Things for good or bad change everyday.

Don't matter where you learn that.

AZ_IPA.. Man! I'm glad you remembered me and a bit humbled by that.

You still keep up on the riddle thread?

Opus, that is a heart rendering photo you posted there. Death and destruction and among it the innocent doll of a child's dreams. The world is a pretty effed up place... Very sad indeed. There isn't much to do about it other than make life good for yours and those you care about. There is always some A-hole who wants to take it away.

Bingo. Your having an emotional response to the photo which means you need to question its validity. What if that doll had been placed there by the photographer? It would be an example of fauxtography. If you google fauxtography you will find some interesting examples from some of the big names like Reuters, etc.

Ok, I have to ask. Where did you take an information warfare class?

I'm in the middle of a graduate program in Cybersecurity. When I decided to jump back in, I thought I better see if I could hack the hardest class. Information Warfare was it. The final paper was to describe how you would disrupt the day-to-day operations of X using only open source information. I choose the Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis. I had twenty pages completed and then found out that the bank was only 30 miles from the Monticello Nuclear Power Plant. Yee Haw. I ended up at 40 pages total.

I took the Information Warfare class at University of Nebraska at Omaha (NUCIA - http://nucia.ist.unomaha.edu/) and I'm finishing up at Bellevue University.

Thank you opus. Feel free to fwd me a syllabus. And I would be curious to know the background of the professor as well.

Don't matter where you learn that.

Just because a class was taught and you weren't involved doesn't mean people didn't learn from it.

It also doesn't guarantee those involved in the class necessarily learned anything either.

Thank you opus. Feel free to fwd me a syllabus. And I would be curious to know the background of the professor as well.

Just because a class was taught and you weren't involved doesn't mean people didn't learn from it.

It also doesn't guarantee those involved in the class necessarily learned anything either.

?

About muy last post I was wondering about using a co2 fire extinguisher as my co2 bottle... but I didn't waited for feedback and I used it anyway... It works I think

ForumRunner_20130408_093746.jpg

Is this like, "It's always the last place you look?"

Interesting. I think I must have interpreted that post very differently then you did. It seemed to me to be a comment on the rapidity of change in the modern world engendering a certain automatic skepticism in most people, regardless of formal training.

And now, a kitten.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back