What is that?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomebrewHandicapper

...likes to drink and gamble
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I did my first full boil this morning of a Red Hook ESB clone and everything seemed to go really well. But after transferring through a strainer into my primary, added the dry yeast and covering it I noticed there was what looked like 2-3 inches of trub in the bottom. I used my bucket this time for the primary so I can't really see it, but I can tell there is a layer of something darker in there. I searched through here for awhile but can't seem to find anything, or I'm not typing in the right words to search for.

This never seemed to happen when I was doing partial boils and adding water but I never had a hotbreak with the partial boils like I was able to do today. Maybe something to do with that? Anyway, if anyone has an idea of what it is and if I need to do something different I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Cold break,hop gunk,etc can all stack up down there. But it does get compacted over the couple weeks of fermentation.

That's what I figured, I have just never noticed/had anything like that before. It does seem to be going down/compacting already, so I think you are right. Is there a difference in cold breaks of a full boil with a wort chiller and a partial boil with 2 gallons of cold water and a chiller. Would that create more material?

I would think that a larger boil would equal more trub since there's more crap suspended in a larger volume of wort.

FYI, nice avvy. ;)

It's actually a kit from my favorite lhbs, Homebrew Heaven in Everett WA. It's called Redstaff esb. The recipe might be on their site though on the left hand side at the bottom if I remember right.

Back