Belgian Pale Ale CTB "Le Chat Avec La Queue Tordue" Belgo-American Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrookedTail

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Partial Mash
Yeast
Wyeast 3711
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
7.5 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
3 weeks
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
1 week
Tasting Notes
American hops with a slight Belgian twist. Awesome!
This beer came about because of SWMBO. She loves Belgian-style beers, and recently tried Ommegang's BPA, which is a Belgian pale ale that is dry-hopped with cascades. As her birthday came closer, she requested that I try to brew something along the same lines.

What I ended up doing was take an APA recipe that enjoy, and adjusted the hops it fit the IBUs of a true Belgian pale ale. I've tried too many Belgian IPAs where the hops and yeast conflict with one another. I didn't want that happening here.

The resulting beer is a delicious and quaffable pale ale, with (in my opinion at least) a nice balance between the American hops and Belgian/French yeast profile. SWMBO loved it!!!

CTB "Le Chat Avec La Queue Tordue" Belgo-American Pale Ale
5 Gallons, Partial-Mash

Fermentables
4 lbs Pilsner Malt
1 lb Vienna Malt
.5 lb Crystal 60L
3.15 lbs Pilsen LME

Hops
.75 oz Perle (7.5% AAU) @ 60 min
.75 oz Cascade (6% AAU) @ 10 min
.75 oz Cascade (6% AAU) @ 5 min
.5 oz Cascade (6% AAU) @ flameout
1 oz Cascade Dry-hop

Yeast
Wyeast 3711 French Saison

belgianpa-56965.jpg

belgique-56964.gif

This beer was a finalist for the 2013 BeerFields Craft Beer and Music Festival. At the festival on June 29th this, along with 4 other finalists will be served and judged by the public. The winning beer will be brewed by Port Jeff Brewing and distributed to local craft beer bars in the Long Island area. So stoked!

Looks like a cool American hopped Saison with 3711. Im Getting ready to Simco/ Amarillo Saison with 3711 and am pumped. Maybe I'll wash the yeast as do a more Belgian pale like this after.

Just brewed this recipe today, I don't know why, I had a problem with conversion of my grains.

Mash for 60min, and got 1.037 OG.
It's gonna be a light beer.

Back