New kettles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgross3

Reaction score
I'm going to buy 2 10 gallon kettles. Definitely getting one with a sight glass. Does it make sense to get 2 with a sight glass or is one all that is needed?

They aren't strictly necessary on a HLT and MT, but it's a nice convenience to have them.

I have a 3-tier, so it is my plan to have them an all 3 once I upgrade from turkey fryers.

I built an igloo mash tun and was thinking of sight glasses on the HLT and the brew kettle. Seemed to make sense to have it on the HLT but wondered if it was worth the extra money for the brew kettle.

I have them on my HLT and BK and Its nice on the BK so I know what my preboil volume is and how much I boil off.

I have a sight glass and thermometer on my HLT. I never measure the amount in the mash tun. I don't see any need to, I know what went in. I have a dip stick marked off in gallons for the boil kettle. Since it is low and easy to dip stick measure I don't feel I need the sight glass. I also think it would be more of a PITA to keep clean than the value of having one.

The dipstick is a good idea and would save a lot of bucks. Argh- so many decisions.

I like comparing a site glass to navigation in a car.

Is it nice? Yup
Is it really handy? Yup
Does it cost more? Yup
Is it worth it? That's what you have to figure out based on what you want to spend.

I jumped into all grain head first. I have never regretted my site glasses. They are great. I however never made a batch without them. I would not take them off to try it.

I had a dipstick for my BK and it worked fine, thought a sight glass was unnecessary.....then got a new BK that had a sight glass - WOW, can't imagine not having one now. JMTC.

Appears to be 3 for dipstick and 4 for BK sight glass.

I'm guessing that: most using a BK sight glass have previously used a dipstick also but not too many the other way around. Again, both work fine and get the job done, just thinking that many dip stick fans would become sight glass fans given the opportunity.

Well after listening to everyone's advice I think I'm going to go with the sight glass on the BK. When you are spending that much money what's another $70 dollars.

Back