Lager without lagering?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timrox1212

Reaction score
Might be a dumb question but if you brew a lager and use lager yeast but not actually do the lagering process will the beer still turn out ok? Like will it still ferment and everything or is it just gonna sit there? I was planning on fermenting and secondary at 65 degrees just not doing the whole 34 degrees steps. Thanks for your help.

From Homebrewing.org:

What does lagering do to a beer?

A well-lagered beer is not only going to be clearer (and therefore cleaner-tasting). Its also going to have a more developed set of flavors showing through. You know how if you savor a keg for a few weeks, that last beer looks and tastes so much better than the first one? Thats not just because youre getting sentimental. Its because youve basically been lagering the beer in your fridge the whole time — long enough to reap some of the benefits before its gone.

Try this at home: Go out and buy two six-packs of a good quality ale. Store one six pack somewhere relatively cool (around 60F), like your basement, where itll stay fresh for a while. Store the second six-pack somewhere much colder — as close as you can get to freezing, without quite getting there. (Probably the very back of your fridge.)

Leave both six-packs alone for a few weeks, and then do a taste comparison between the two. Odds are, youll be able to see and taste a real difference, with the advantage going to the cold-stored beer.
How does lagering work?

There are two important processes at work when a beer is in long-term cold-storage:

Precipitation: Take a certain amount of liquid, warm it up, and you can obviously dissolve more solids into that same volume. Take that same warm liquid, and cool it down, and the amount of dissolved solids that it can contain will decrease. Those solids will precipitate, or re-solidify and fall to the bottom of your storage container. (The simplest version of this process is what we all know as cold-crashing.)
Aging: All the chemical reactions going on in your beer — good or bad — take place much more slowly in the cold. As it happens, though, most of the processes you dont want are slowed down more. An extended period of cold storage builds up the benefits that you do want, with less of the effects that you dont. (With some important exceptions: see the discussion of Diacetyl Rest, in the next chapter.)

I guess the answer you're seeking is, yes you can make a lager recipe w/o long-term cold storage after fermenting. It just won't be as good as if you had given it the time at cold (mid-30's) temps. At the temps you are talking about for fermenting, however, you are going to want to use an ale yeast (unless you are wanting to make a "steam beer", but that's a whole different subject). Most lager yeasts ferment best in the mid-40's to mid-50's.

Seriously not trying to plug, but I'm a huge fan of brewing lagers without the lager hassle. I wrote a blog post about it to share with other homebrewers.

http://www.keystonehomebrew.com/2013/02/brewing-a-lager-without-all-the-hassle/#.UW9LaTc4Fsg

That's some good info. I do see, however, that you are doing some weeks of cold conditioning ("lagering") with those brews. I like the idea, but wasn't that what the OP was apparently trying to avoid?

Also, what you're describing using certain select strains of lager yeast at ale temps (btw, WY2124 Bohemian Lager yeast works well for this too) is actually making a type of "California Common" or steam beer. I've had some that I thought were quite good, but I don't tend to think of them as genuine lagers.

Another option, if you can control the temps, is do a lager recipe but pitch rehydrated Nottingham ale yeast on it. Ferment that at 55-57*F for a week, slowly raise it into the mid-60's to finish and clean up, condition as normal. The result is surprisingly lager-like.

Don't get me wrong I fully understand why lagering is better. But I don't have a fridge or anything where I can lager at. I basically just want to know if you can ferment a lager at ale temps and still get a decent beer. I think I might try that bohemian lager yeast that someone stated earlier.

Yes, you can run lager yeast at higher temps. There is a whole category of beer that does just that - steam beer or california common. Try out "California Lager" from wyeast if that is what you are going for.

Agree you can make a steam style lager at those temps, but you might as well use the Cali lager yeast for that. I think you'll like the result better.

If you have a means of fermenting in the low 50's, then I think you can make a decent regular lager. You need lots of yeast. Many people lager in the bottle in fridge for 4-5 weeks. Not quite the same as lagering right after fermentation ends. The beer won't be quite as clean or crisp, but would still be good.

I used WL029 German ale/kolsh yeast for these,light & dark colored. It ferments best at 65-69F according to White Labs. The dark one has a nice little crispness to it,but it's inconsistent bottle to bottle. This is after nearly 3 weeks conditioning at room temp for the first 5 bottles into the fridge for a week. Gotta put in twelve more now,after a month & 1 day @ room temp.
I wanna see if that crispness gets more consistent. Possibly with 2 weeks fridge time,now that my state tax got in! Wanna see just how well this bottle lagering thing can work in the normal fridge time frame...?...:mug:

I'm doing a 5 gallon batch an I normally use white labs liquid yeast. Should I pitch 2 vials then of the Cali lager yeast?

Back