What size tubing for Better Bottle blow off?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canihaveurpants

Reaction score
I'm sick of having to clean out my chest freezer after my bubbler pops off ever other brew since I've been too lazy to set up a proper blowoff rig. What size tubing should I buy to insert into the mouth of a 6 gallon Better Bottle?

I really don't want to put down the cash for a Better Bottle adapter so I'm hoping there is some standard tubing I can stick in.

Midwest Supplies site says a 6 gal better bottle uses a #10 stopper. Bottom diam. 1 5/8" top diam. 1 15/16"

The neck of a 6 US Gallon Better Bottle has an ID of 45mm (about 1.77") (information from the Better Bottle website: http://www.better-bottle.com/products_master.html)

So you need a tube with OD about 45mm. Alternately, you can get a stopper of that size, and drill a 1" hole in it, and use standard 1" tubing. Your LHBS should have stoppers for better bottles, and can probably drill them to size for you if you ask.

GASoline71 said:
I just cram a 1/2" hose on the main piece of a 3 piece air lock... then run the hose into a jug. EZPZ...

Gary

I've also heard many people say cut off the bottom cross-hatched bit of the airlock (that gets shoved into the stopper/bung), so it opens up the flow and you don't get any krausen/gunk clogging up the airlock, when attaching the blow-off hose to it...

FatsSchindee said:
I've also heard many people say cut off the bottom cross-hatched bit of the airlock (that gets shoved into the stopper/bung), so it opens up the flow and you don't get any krausen/gunk clogging up the airlock, when attaching the blow-off hose to it...

Yes on both of these. Use a normal 3 piece airlock and cut off the X on the bottom (comes off easy with a razor blade or wire clippers). Keep the "base" of the airlock in the bung, but don't use the bobber or the cap. Instead, stick some tubing over the inner pipe of the airlock base as a blowoff.

get an orange carboy cap and stick a hose on one of the ends

I use those orange universal caps with the two ports on them. I cut one port short to cram in a stainless thermowell so I can get an internal temp reading to control the heating/cooling and to the other side I cram on some 1/2" (IIRC) tubing for the blow off. The nice thing is that when I rack off I can cap the hose connection side with the supplied little silocone white cap, remove the thermo and swap with an acrylic tube (I use one from a broken plastic racking cane) so I can fill the carboy up with about a gallon of Oxy solution and invert using a small round garbage can to stabilize, this way I don't waste a lot of time, energy, or oxy filling the entire thing up to clean off the yeast ring. Or, on my one ported BB, I just invert and open up the port.

One of these:
http://www.homebrewing.org/Orange-Universal-Carboy-Cap_p_2930.html

I use a #10 stopper with a hole in it. I have no idea the size of the hole, but when I got the stopper, I took it to the hardware store and bought a length of tubing that fit snugly in the hole. As has been said, EZPZ!

glenn514:mug:

Back