yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elysium

Reaction score
I am planning to wash some yeast from my current batch and store it in the fridge for a few weeks before pitching it. I guess many of the yeast cells will die....and I am wondering if I should use the sweet wort to create a yeast starter in order to make sure they are activated and alive.

My idea is to start boiling the wort and after a 5-10 min boil I'd take some wort, chill it to pitching temperature and poor the yeast in it. While the 1 hour boil is on.....the yeast could start eating the sugar away in that glass of wort.

Is this a good idea at all for saving money on yeast?

I use US-05 pretty regularly so I usually wash that. This method works pretty well for me:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/yeast-washing-illustrated-41768/

It definitely saves some money not having to buy yeast for every batch. I would recommend making a starter a few days out, though, rather than pitching it in a starter during the boil.

By the way, I was a little surprised to see that 6-month old yeast made with this method woke right up when I put it in a starter.

I use US-05 pretty regularly so I usually wash that. This method works pretty well for me:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/yeast-washing-illustrated-41768/

It definitely saves some money not having to buy yeast for every batch. I would recommend making a starter a few days out, though, rather than pitching it in a starter during the boil.

By the way, I was a little surprised to see that 6-month old yeast made with this method woke right up when I put it in a starter.

General, I didnt mean to pitch the yeast into the boiling wort....but making a starter from wort that I take from the boiling wort and cool down to room temperature. I am only concerned that making such a starter 30 mins before pitching wont do much good...since the cells wont have time to multiply.

I am definitely not an expert on any aspect of brewing, only been doing it for 6 months or so. But, I've done a ton of reading.

The 30 min is going to give you much reproduction or enough time to wake up the yeast. I would start the starter at least 48 hours before had. Let the yeast do their thing for at least 24 hours. Of you want to decant the liquid put it in the fridge for at least 18 hours. Then first thing in the morn on brew day take it out, decant, and place somewhere that it can get up to pitching temps when you're ready to pitch it.

I am definitely not an expert on any aspect of brewing, only been doing it for 6 months or so. But, I've done a ton of reading.

The 30 min is going to give you much reproduction or enough time to wake up the yeast. I would start the starter at least 48 hours before had. Let the yeast do their thing for at least 24 hours. Of you want to decant the liquid put it in the fridge for at least 18 hours. Then first thing in the morn on brew day take it out, decant, and place somewhere that it can get up to pitching temps when you're ready to pitch it.

ok, makes sense. let me try to understand one thing: decanting helps getting rid of what exactly? I am referring to the decanting of the yeast starter. Does it help eliminate the dead yeast cells or dirt left over from the starter liquid?

Decanting gets rid of the liquid and SOME of the suspended yeasties, but that really won't make a difference. Yeasties are carnivores and can actually feed off of other dead yeast cells... Dead yeast cells are part of the ingredient in yeast nutrient.

And there shouldn't be any "dirt" in the yeast starter, just left over wort which won't hurt either.

Back