Backsweetening cyser that has gone through malolactic fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptainK

Reaction score
I made a couple of cysers last fall OG 1.091. They both fermented out to around 1.000 in 10 days. A couple of weeks later I saw airlock activity, and many bubbles rising. I figured it was malolactic fermentation and let it ride. 7 months later I am getting ready to bottle (both tast fine). I plan to backsweeten after the metabisulfite and sorbate additions. What about this geranium aroma/flavor. If I did have malolactic fermentation should I be worried that the bacteria that did it are still around and will cause this problem?

Thanks

I made a couple of cysers last fall OG 1.091. They both fermented out to around 1.000 in 10 days. A couple of weeks later I saw airlock activity, and many bubbles rising. I figured it was malolactic fermentation and let it ride. 7 months later I am getting ready to bottle (both tast fine). I plan to backsweeten after the metabisulfite and sorbate additions. What about this geranium aroma/flavor. If I did have malolactic fermentation should I be worried that the bacteria that did it are still around and will cause this problem?

Thanks

No. The geranium flavor comes when sorbate is added concurrently with a MLF fermentation. If it's done, then the sorbate should be fine.

Thanks for the reply. How about an optimum temp for the potassium sorbate, and potassium metabisulfite? The D-47 carboy is clear, the Nottingham carboy is cloudy. I hit it with some gelatin and it is at 42 right now. I did pasteurize the juice for both and added pectic enzyme.

Thanks for the reply. How about an optimum temp for the potassium sorbate, and potassium metabisulfite? The D-47 carboy is clear, the Nottingham carboy is cloudy. I hit it with some gelatin and it is at 42 right now. I did pasteurize the juice for both and added pectic enzyme.

I've never heard of a temperature tolerance for sorbate.

Plus, for info, MLF bacteria can only work if the sulphite level is below 20ppm. Whereas a campden tablet provides about 50ppm so the sorbate is safe to do its thing and won't or at least shouldn't cause any production of geraniols......

If you looked up the wine making method you'd do MLF before sulphiting and sorbate........if you did them at all

I hit the Cysers with sulfite and sorbate. Ran out of time so I just decided to bulk age in the cornys instead of bottling. Is this a bad idea? Is the sulphur supposed to have a way to get out? Can I sweeten and bottle without doing anything else in say 6 months?

I hit the Cysers with sulfite and sorbate. Ran out of time so I just decided to bulk age in the cornys instead of bottling. Is this a bad idea? Is the sulphur supposed to have a way to get out? Can I sweeten and bottle without doing anything else in say 6 months?
I'd have thought you'd be fine. If the keg is sealed and under pressure then I can't think of a problem.......

Latest posts

Back