Tripod/Hoist Ideas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Right now I have a pulley mounted in the header of my garage door. I purchased an EZ-UP Canopy to do all my business outside. But now I will need a "tripod" to hook up to my bag. Anyone make one out of 2 x 4's or conduit?? Dutch oven tripods may work, but may not be tall enough

Perhaps you could clarify what it is that you are looking for. From what you described and what we are picturing, a ladder seems like a simple and elegant solution. Maybe if you filled in the blanks a little bit, someone could suggest something better.

Perhaps you could clarify what it is that you are looking for. From what you described and what we are picturing, a ladder seems like a simple and elegant solution. Maybe if you filled in the blanks a little bit, someone could suggest something better.

see first post,,and after further research....I think I'm going to use 1/2" emt cut to 7 foot lengths...with a plate at the top where all 3 posts slide into and some chain to keeps the legs from falling apart.....I'm gonna modify this http://www.instructables.com/id/Turkey-on-a-Tripod/

Sooo.....rather than use something you already own, you're going to build something?
A ladder will be in my way..I did a test run yesterday and it won't work for me

Might be a lot of weight (grain soaked with water) for EMT conduit.

time will tell, maybe I'll go with 3/4 emt, at least the materials are "free" from work and the wet grains don't weight more than 35#'s

I made a tripod out of 2x4's.

image-1195512216.jpg

image-2641517513.jpg

Basically a lag bolt through some holes in the ends of the 2x4's and a rope cleat to tie off so you don't have to hold it.

I found I needed to hoist a little ways then adjust the tripod position to keep the bag centered over the pot before raising the bag all the way.

atta boy, thanks for answering my question(s).I might try 2 x 3's or 2 x 2's so it's not so "bulky". Plus it needs to go under a 10 x 10 ez-up canopy

I think the 2x2 or 2x3 would work. I used 10 foot lengths to make sure I had the height to clear the top of my kettle. 8 might have worked but it would have been close with my setup.

if you are set on building something, then check out the unistrut thread. Shows all kinds of brewstands built with readily available strut. The stuff is so strong you would only need one upright and one cross piece to support a grain bag. The bottom would just need to be cross pieces long enough to keep it from being tippy.

if you are set on building something, then check out the unistrut thread. Shows all kinds of brewstands built with readily available strut. The stuff is so strong you would only need one upright and one cross piece to support a grain bag. The bottom would just need to be cross pieces long enough to keep it from being tippy.

no need for a brew stand, so no uni-strut

PackerfaninSanDiego said:
atta boy, thanks for answering my question(s).I might try 2 x 3's or 2 x 2's so it's not so "bulky". Plus it needs to go under a 10 x 10 ez-up canopy

For the life of me, I can't understand why I'm still fascinated with this thread. I should just pass on by. If you read my last post I wasn't suggesting you build a stand. I went off a previous post of yours. I suggested using strut to build with as you were specifically looking for something less bulky. Last post from me here. Good luck.

EMT will hold the weight just fine. I made a wakeboard tower out of EMT and it will support me coming out of the water without issue.

image-198839256.jpg

Back