C02 Line Length Outside Keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paloaf

Reaction score
I recently upgraded to a 10 lb C02 tank and would like to move it from inside my keezer to the outside to allow for extra space. Running the line outside the keezer is easy enough as I can drill a hole through my wood collar and put the tank behind the keezer. There's spare space under my stairs that sits directly behind my keezer which would be great for storing my C02 tank out of the way. I've thought of drilling a hole through the wall and running a line 7-8 feet from my manifold to my tank under the stairs. Is it fine to run a line this long from the tank to the manifold? Are there any problems or concerns with doing this?

The length of gas line doesn't really matter. The only concern I have is that it doesn't get knocked around and disconnected. If it is out of the way I don't think there should be any problem.

use a piece of swing set chain or rope to tie the bottle to something. this way if it gets kicked over, you won't wreck your regulator or possibly damage the valve on the cylinder.

Well the gas line in question be in line between the task and the regulator (very high pressure), or between regulator and manifold (much lower pressure)? That makes a huge difference, both in price of hose and in reasonable limit of length.

Doesn't matter if it's high pressure 'tween tank and primary, "low pressure" from a primary feeding a secondary bank, or even "dispensing pressure" hitting a keg. A 7-8 foot line will not be a problem, period. Heck, a 20 foot line will not be a problem...

Cheers!

Doesn't matter if it's high pressure 'tween tank and primary, "low pressure" from a primary feeding a secondary bank, or even "dispensing pressure" hitting a keg. A 7-8 foot line will not be a problem, period. Heck, a 20 foot line will not be a problem...

Cheers!

You're correct that the gas shouldn't behave noticeably differently just by increasing or decreasing the line length.

But that's not addressing the whole issue. Low pressure line is cheap ($0.59/ft), plentiful, readily available, and can be cut to custom lengths with zero headaches. High pressure line (which has to be rated for a couple thousand PSI that comes off the tank valve) is expensive ($40/6 ft), I've never seen it at my LHBS (only online), and usually can only be found in relatively short lengths. For me, that's where the problem is: I'm cheap! :)

Cheers!

Thanks for all of the feedback. My plan is to run the 7-8 foot (maybe even 10 foot) line from the regulator to the manifold located inside my keezer. This line shouldn't be under as much pressure as the regulator has already taken care of that; is that correct?

Latest posts

Back