Spent grains.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NicoleBrewer

Reaction score
What does everyone do with their spent grains? Does anyone bake with them or give them to local farmers?

I hand them off to my buddy with chickens. Once the brewery is up and running they will go to the local 4H and AG department of the local collage.

Cheers
Jay

I make dog treats but recently gave them to a co worker for his chickens. I'm glad he wanted them, I feel bad throwing them in the trash bin.

I make dog treats with flour, an egg and reduced fat peanut butter. My dog (and everyone else's dog) loves them! There are recipes online.

Made dog treats from part, composted part, and tried to make bread(didn't work). Guess I wasn't meant to bake.

I used to give my grain to my old boss who makes fine breads out of it for the farmers market. See if a bakery will take it. If not, I give it to a dude that has 4H pigs.

Goes in the yard waste bin and the county composts it to sell back to gardeners.

Cookies, bread, pizza crust, some goes to the pigs, some to the chickens, some to the cows. We brew a lot of beer. Bread and the cookies are my favorite though. Gives them both a really nice texture. I am going to have to try some protein bars now I guess.

I have made bread a few times but felt like it was more effort that it was worth. All goes to the garden now.

I exchange them with a couple who has chickens for anywhere between 18-24 eggs. Put an ad on craigslist and you'll have ten people calling/emailing you. They make chickens lay tons of eggs.

First off please for the love of God do NOT use grains for dog treats. Grains are not good for your dogs. They are not suppose to eat grains. It is not healthy for the dogs.

Secondly, can any one give me a recipe for the spent grain bread.

Thank you very much.

Spent grains go out to the barn for my dairy goats. They will knock each other out of the way if I don't divide the grain up into several dishes and they always lick the dishes clean!

First off please for the love of God do NOT use grains for dog treats. Grains are not good for your dogs. They are not suppose to eat grains. It is not healthy for the dogs.

Thank you very much.

NO! Some dogs have allergies to wheat, corn, rice ...etc but to say "grains", even though we know we are talking specifically about malted barley grains, are not good for dogs is just silly.

I exchange them with a couple who has chickens for anywhere between 18-24 eggs. Put an ad on craigslist and you'll have ten people calling/emailing you. They make chickens lay tons of eggs.

After covering all of my gardens in grain, this is what I *hopefully* will do now. I put out a listing on Craigslist last week just saying that I'd be willing to trade spent grain for eggs, beef, etc. Someone contacted me the next day about giving him all my spent grain and he will give me farm fresh eggs.

HoppyDaze said:
NO! Some dogs have allergies to wheat, corn, rice ...etc but to say "grains", even though we know we are talking specifically about malted barley grains, are not good for dogs is just silly.

Very true. My sister is a vet and she says that certain grain types actually have some health benefits for dogs. Although a fair percentage of dogs have allergies to some form of grain or another.

With that said, my dog is allergic to both barley and brewers yeast. And she used to really love beer too.

JABBY said:

Thank you very much.

I think you are talking about hops.
Hops = bad
Grain = good

Just thought I'd leave this here. It's the ingredient list for a randomly picked dog food by Science Diet (Adult Advanced Fitness Original):

Chicken, Brewers Rice, Cracked Pearled Barley, Whole Grain Wheat, Whole Grain Sorghum, Whole Grain Corn, Corn Gluten Meal, Chicken Meal, Animal Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Chicken Liver Flavor, Soybean Oil, Dried Beet Pulp, Wheat Gluten, Lactic Acid, Potassium Chloride, Flaxseed, Iodized Salt, Choline Chloride, vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Niacin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Taurine, Dicalcium Phosphate, Oat Fiber, Mixed Tocopherols added to retain freshness, Citric Acid added to retain freshness, Phosphoric Acid, Beta-Carotene, Rosemary Extract, Dried Apples, Dried Broccoli, Dried Carrots, Dried Cranberries, Dried Peas.

That just about covers all the grain you'd put in beer.

My neighbor has a couple dozen longhorn cattle. They are pretty excited to get them. :)

Seriously, if you're not going to bake them or compost them, etc, exchange them for eggs. You're getting something in return, heck, you could end up with eggs as often as you'd eat them, never spending money on them again. Plus they're usually organic, non hormone, this-and-that type eggs. Don't know about other places, but here in the city you can even have chickens and I'd say every few blocks someone does.

I asked my Vet and he said spent grain is fine. Got any info on why it's bad for dogs? got a link? Most crappy dog food is made of grain. I mixed peanut butter with spent grain and baked it for hours at 250F (it stinks). I eat them, their OK. The dog loves them, but she eats cat poo and loves that too.

Grains for dog is bad because certain companies want you to spend $120 for 35 lbs of "grain free" dog food. Also, Grains make your dog fat.

Some people have dogs that eat better than I do.

P.S
I can't afford to feed my dogs "Wellness" anymore. I stick to the Costco dog food. The first ingredient is meat and that's good.

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/

I give mine to my chickens and turkeys. They love it more than millet and clover. Trade it for some fresh eggs from a local farmer.

I tried to compost mine last week but my neighbor's sprinker system just broke and every morning it got a nice water jet directed straight at it. So rather than compost it rotted... and stunk. I'm still battling the stench and am hoping the HOA/neighbors don't notice! (socal being the land of postage stamp housing)

Grains in general are bad for dogs, it is because they do cause them to get fat, then you have to start to look at their joints, bones, and muscle as well. Hey different grains cause different things. Now when you look at the big dog food companies they have a budget for paying vets to say yes try this dog food that cost three bucks to make but sells it for 40 bucks. Now this is not always true same with doctors and prescription drugs. Now then the 120$ for 35LBS of dog food some one is getting #($)@%. You also needed to look for the serving size on that because you should be using maybe half of what the big dog food companies say to use. The reason is calories, minerals, and vitamins are packed into the good dog food where as the corn, rice, millet, and other cheap grains they use fill the dog have hardly any nutrition in it. Now then meat should be the first ingredient, but then you need to read further down because some split say corn into five different ingredients to drop it down and raise the meat higher. Now then the reason I say do not feed them your spent grains mixed with peanut butter is because they are only getting calories out of it some oil from the peanuts but its not good to feed them the straight grains. Now its your pet your money but please think of your best friend.

Grains for dog is bad because certain companies want you to spend $120 for 35 lbs of "grain free" dog food. Also, Grains make your dog fat.

Some people have dogs that eat better than I do.

P.S ,
I can't afford to feed my dogs "Wellness" anymore. I stick to the Costco dog food. The first ingredient is meat and that's good.

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/

Just thought I'd leave this here. It's the ingredient list for a randomly picked dog food by Science Diet (Adult Advanced Fitness Original):

Yeah and google science diet dog food rankings. I believe it's one of the lowest ranked dog foods. Especially since they charge a premium and still have the majority of their product as grain. Feed your dogs protein. They're not farm animals, they're carnivores.

Not trying to be negative or start a debate but in nature grains are not part of a dogs diet, and as a treat I dont see it as a problem but those dog foods are not good for dogs and many seem to be allergic or get sick from them down the line. Their systems were not designed for those types of fillers-grain, corn, wheat etc. I feed my dog an all natural grain free food that you can buy at certain stores. Grain is just a filler in those types of foods.

I either use it for compost or make a sugar wash rye whiskey type concoction.

Basically add the spent grains to another fermenter, add 5 or 7 pounds of sugar, hot water to dissolve the sugar, cool and pitch a packet of wine yeast. I don't like distillers yeast.

The grains don't add anything in really in terms of fermentable sugars (if I did a good job making my conversion that is) but they do add a certain flavor profile to the whiskey wash. It's the same idea as using cracked corn but with a different flavor profile. I don't want to get into the whole whiskey making process because I think it may be against the rules, but I found this a really fun way to deal with spent grains.

After that they end up in a composter or I've even used them before as a substrate to grow mushrooms. Even after making beer and whiskey they still made an ok substrate additive.

We feed all of our dogs Canidae all life stage. It is very affordable and one of the best dry foods out there...I have a lab with severe allergies and she's never had issues with this food. Canidae

Taking dog food advice from someone who feeds his dog Costco food is like taking dieting advice from a 400lb fat guy...

I give mine to my chickens and turkeys. They love it more than millet and clover. Trade it for some fresh eggs from a local farmer.

Probably a stupid question, but do you dry them out before handing them off to the person with the chickens? The day after I brew the still wet spent grains smell like vomit!

Latest posts

Back