dry hopping or late hop addition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elysium

Reaction score
There is one thing I am trying to understand:
dry hopping gives the beer aroma.....but it wont affect the flavour, right?
Then what is the point of it? Just giving aroma to it?
I love that idea....but I'd rather go for more flavours. What shall I do? Shall I just add extra hops....as part of a late addition hopping to the wort at the end of the boiling (at around 15, 10 or/and 5 minutes) and after the flame-out?

Well aroma still adds to the perception of flavor, even if there isn't any actual flavor being imparted. I'm personally of the opinion that dry hops do impart flavor to some extent, seeing as how drastically they can improve a beer's hoppiness. Of course I could be completely wrong about that, in which case that would be an even stronger argument for aroma affecting the perceived flavor!

In my opinion, the best way to maximize hoppiness is to focus on late additions (20 -> 0 mins) as well as adding dry hops. I've switched to the hop-bursting method for most of my IPAs and really like the flavor it produces. Of course you can probably go just the straight hop-bursting route with great results.

I'd also recommend reading this, it makes a pretty good case for late additions.

You can't taste anything that you can't smell. Try it. It's true.

Smell doesn't have an impact on flavor, it absolutely determines flavor. They are directly and very strongly connected.

Smell and taste are as linked as touch and feel.

A human being is similar to a dog in which we can smell and "track" aromatics or signature fragrances just do happens dogs are way better at it.

The aromatics of a dish or beverage, can DRASTICALLY change your perception of taste. My interpretation is to impart bitterness and body in the boil, and all the extra crazy wacky hop notes in the nose(dry hopping).

That way you taste the beer, and once you initiated the taste your sense to go nuts on the notes that only your nose can pick up.

Our sense of smell is linked to our sense of taste by nasal passages in the roof of the mouth. so I do flavor hop additions from,say 20 minutes to about 8:30 minutes. The last 2-5 minutes of the boil produces aroma.
Anyway,I dry hop with the same hops I used for the flavor additions. sinse our senses of taste & smell are linked,the hop experience is heightened & more rounded.

Back