How much do you spend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoVaBrewer

Reaction score
To anyone who cares to share, how much do you spend per brew?
I spend about 50 bucks each time I go to the brew shop. But I haven't really sat down and any liked how much each batch costs. Any thoughts or feelings are welcome. Cheers!

Ch

In 2012 my cost per bottle was $0.36 and so far in 2013 it's down to $0.22/bottle (11$/batch).

I buy bulk grains in a group buy, culture yeast from SNPA, wash yeast over and over, and buy my 4oz packages of hops from Farmhouse Supply.

Mojzis said:
In 2012 my cost per bottle was $0.36 and so far in 2013 it's down to $0.22/bottle (11$/batch).

I buy bulk grains in a group buy, culture yeast from SNPA, wash yeast over and over, and buy my 4oz packages of hops from Farmhouse Supply.

Do you think it's advantageous to brew 10 gal batches will this cut cost? How much are you paying per pound on grain if you don't mind sharing.

10 gallon batches won't cut cost, but it sure does cut time. It takes about the same amount of time to brew a 10g as it does to brew a 5g (for me anyway).

This last time I payed $125.88 for 160lbs ($0.78/lb) of 2-row and pale ale. This was more expensive than the previous buy because of seller changes. I believe the time before that it cost me $0.72/lb.

I buy most of my hops in bulk and re-use my yeast, so my typical LHBS visits are for grain only, which generally comes out to $12-$15 for a 1.050-1.060 brew. Add in another $4-$5 for hops and yeast (including DME for starters), and I'm around $16-$20 per 5g batch for ingredients, not including propane.

Mojzis said:

My cost is similar except for the yeast. I usually buy yeast and reuse once. My last batch cost about $14 and half of that was the lager yeast.

Made a 20gallon hef for about 70 bucks..thats including propane.
I buy everything in bulk..
Igotsand

Just ingredients? That would be like saying the the cost of owning a car is just what you spend in gas. Typically, ingredients for a 5-g batch runs me about 20-28 bucks depending on style and/or if I have previously-harvested yeast. I could buy in bulk and save some $$, but I have a great fledgling LHBS (our first ever here) that I want to see succeed and thrive.

To be truthful about it, if I factored in all of the money I've spent on gear, especially my E-brewing components and kegging (although I do DIY a heck of a lot), the cost per bottle/glass would be rather disappointing. I brew because it's an interesting, challenging (to do really well) and enjoyable hobby plus I like the end result better than just about anything I can buy at the store. I save money whenever I reasonably can, but I don't worry about it nor kid myself (or the wife) that it's cheaper than store-bought.

I buy hops in bulk and wash yeast, My ag batches run me $20-$45 for 5gals factoring in propane and co2.

Hey this is a great first post for me because saving $ was the whole reason I started brewing in the first place (though I don't care as much any more)
I started with kits, moved to extract with hops, started adding specialty grain, as of early this year moved to all grain. I have brewed 64x23l batches. Costing anywhere from $12-45 most being between $25-30. I'll average my batches at $28. 64 batches x $28 = $1792
To this point I have spent $1260 on equipment, including grocerystore starter kit, extra buckets and carboys, brew pot, keg system, replacing buckets twice, broken hydrometers, etc.
I live in BC Canada, where good beer is about $26/12pack. Cheap beer is about $20/12pack. I'll average mine at $23 (eventhough I like to thinks it's better than that)
64 batches x 5 12packs per batch = 320cases x $23 = $7360
$7360 minus $1792 ingredients,1260 equipment = $4308 savings over buying commercial beer.
I LOVE THIS HOBBY!
...sorry for all the math.

each batch is between like $10-20 bucks... that is also 5-10 gallons.
i think it's about 40-50 everytime i go to the brew shop, it's about a 45 minute drive to my favorite one, so i tend to get 2-3 recipes to make.

I brew 10 gallon batches, buy base malt & hops in bulk, but typically do not re-use yeast. Below is a rough idea for moderate-strength (1.050-1.065) strength batches. Based on recipe, I can get a batch done from $48-$73, assuming the below. That's around $0.43-$0.66 per bottle (although I keg).

I could make it significantly cheaper if I wanted to by re-using yeast and freezing my own ice for my chiller instead of buying it, but one of the reasons I use dry yeast and buy ice is that I have three young kids, so time > money for me in this hobby.

Malt -- $17-28 per batch avg
Base (2-row): 15-20# per batch @ 0.75 per: $11.25-$15 per batch
Base (Pils/Vienna): 15-20# per batch @ 1.10 per: $16.50-22 per batch
Specialty: ~#3 per batch @ $2 per: $6

Hops -- $2.80-$11.20
Non-bulk purchases: 4 oz @ $2 per - $8
Non-hoppy (bulk purchase) beers: 4 oz @ $0.70 per - $2.80
Hoppy (bulk purchase) beers: 16 oz @ 0.70 per - $11.20

Yeast -- $10-16
Most beers - 3 packs dry yeast @ $3 per: $12
Lagers/big beers - 4 packs dry yeast @ $4 per: $16
Liquid yeast (rare) - 1 vial + 1.5 cup DME starter: $10

Ice for chiller: $10
Propane: $5 ??
CO2: $2 ??
Incidentals (whirlfloc, gelatin, gypsum, etc etc): $1 ??

I like that you broke it down by ingredient, and that you included ice. I tend to forget that ice is crucial because in with wort chillers, if your using hose water, it can be difficult to get the wort down to temp especially in hot weather when hose water can be 80+ degree F.

Making a 20 litre (5.5 US gallons) batch of cider costs me 21 EUR (28 USD). That is cheaper than milk..

Making a 20 litre batch of raspberry wine (with 7.5 kg of frozen raspberries) costs me 40 EUR (53 USD). This is right at the max of what I am willing to spend: 2 EUR per litre. That is still cheaper per litre than the cheapest beer sold here.

I don't have the fine details as some others, but I would say $15-$20 depending on the batch would be conservative....
All base malt in 50lb sacks
hops in 1 lb bags in bulk
reuse yeast 2-3 times

It depends on the recipe I'm brewing, but I buy grain and hops in bulk, and save and reuse yeast over and over. I spend about $80 a year on yeast, buying twice per year.

For the cream ale I'm drinking now, I made 11 gallons for $19.

For the English IPA I have on tap, I made 11 gallons for $39! The hops were ones I don't buy in bulk, and maris otter malt costs more than US two-row.

Some of my biggest IPAs are closer to $50 due to the amount of hops and grain I use. I almost always make 11 gallon batches.

you must need quite the MLT and Pot for 11gal batches eh? I'm one of those guys that thought, ah, a 5gal pot will be fine... (3 months later) ah, a 10gal will be fine... (now) I sure wouldn't mind having 2x this blonde I just made... I barely got to drink any of it myself!

I probably spend much more than most brewers living far North in Sask, Canada and haven't found a good way to buy in bulk. $25ish for 6gal or so?

p.s. you only save money if you only drink as much as you did before starting this hobby (snicker). I've had to get my wife to keep me accountable so I don't balloon to 275lbs by Christmas!

About 75c @ bottle, including ingredients and ice, but not water and electric. Commercial light beer costs more. I brew small and simple, I only have about $150 of equipment.

I do 5 gallon batches and they have run me $25 to $35. I buy all my grains, hops, and yeast at the LHBS as I need them, not in bulk. Those prices are for ingredients only, and ice. Not bad for 2 cases of good beer :rockin:

Ice for chiller: $10

I like that you broke it down by ingredient, and that you included ice. I tend to forget that ice is crucial because in with wort chillers, if your using hose water, it can be difficult to get the wort down to temp especially in hot weather when hose water can be 80+ degree F.
Why not make the ice yourself? I don't have an ice maker, but I have 5 ices trays. A few days before, I start storing ice in bags in the freezer. I also will freeze buckets of ice that I break up. But I also have 2 freezers. Of course I use extra electricity to make the ice, but I'm sure it's less than $10.

I usually run somewhere between $30-$60 per batch depending on what im making :)

Back