E Herms keggles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

docon86

Reaction score
What is the best way to brew 10 gallons with kals clone using keggles? I know he said you need 20 gallon kettles but was wondering if there Is a way to do it with my current setup. Thanks in advance

Pretty sure you can sub keggles for regular kettles with the Kal clone. The mash might be a bit tight for huge beers, but it's really plenty big for most beers.

Really depends on how much beer you want to make, how long of a boil you want to have, how vigorous a boil, and so on.

I recommend a 20 gallon boil kettle to make 10 gallons of finished product because of all the losses along the way. I try and end up with 11.5 to 12 gallons into the fermenters and then 10 gallons into the kegs.

I often make hoppy beers where a lot of wort is soaked up in the boil, my boil is vigorous and sometimes 90 mins which means I need to start with 14.9 gallons (give or take). Boiling 14.9 gallons in a 15 gallon container just can't work.

Kal

I use a 15 gallon MT and BK without issue. I would make sure you get a 20 gallon HLT to make it all work smoothly though.

My setup is Kal clone but with 3 keggles. I unusually brew 10 gallon batches. Boil kettle is the one item I wish I could replace sometimes. I had a boilover once which made a mess but once you get past the hot break it's ok.

My setup is Kal clone but with 3 keggles. I unusually brew 10 gallon batches. Boil kettle is the one item I wish I could replace sometimes. I had a boilover once which made a mess but once you get past the hot break it's ok.

whats the process with a 15 gallon hlt isn't that the main issue when trying to do 10 gallon batches with the keggles? do you stop recirculating when you get your mash ready then add water to hlt, take it up to correct temp then start recirculating again?

Really depends on how much beer you want to make, how long of a boil you want to have, how vigorous a boil, and so on.

I recommend a 20 gallon boil kettle to make 10 gallons of finished product because of all the losses along the way. I try and end up with 11.5 to 12 gallons into the fermenters and then 10 gallons into the kegs.

I often make hoppy beers where a lot of wort is soaked up in the boil, my boil is vigorous and sometimes 90 mins which means I need to start with 14.9 gallons (give or take). Boiling 14.9 gallons in a 15 gallon container just can't work.

Kal

i would be happy if i can get 10 gallons into fermenters

whats the process with a 15 gallon hlt isn't that the main issue when trying to do 10 gallon batches with the keggles? do you stop recirculating when you get your mash ready then add water to hlt, take it up to correct temp then start recirculating again?

I fill my hlt to the rim and I set my strike water at a higher temp. Temp drops during transfer and when I mash in. I add more water to the hlt and it settles at the correct temperature.

Latest posts

Back