apfelwein mishap, how.bad did i do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just got back into town after a month in las Vegas and set up a brew day. Plan was to start an apfelwein following ED WORTS recipe. All went well with mixing and arraying. Cleaning up, I realized I had mistakenly pitched a packet of safale 05 instead of the recommended montrachet red star. Possibly not thinking clearly, I went ahead and pitched the red star. It seemed like a good idea at the time. After waking up, I am a bit curious how this might end up. This is my first foray into apfelwein territory, any help is appreciated.
Thanks in advance
scott

Interesting half cider, half wine.

It will probably be fine, i'd bet you just get a bit less flavor from the wine yeast than you normally would have, you might want to throw some yeast nutrient in there.

I'm sure it will turn out fine. I made one batch with Windsor beer yeast and one with Montrachet. Both made good apfelwein and both finished very dry. One of those 2 yeasts will likely dominate, but I bet it turns out great either way.

I've actually made cider with this (or a similar) recipe with both of those yeasts. I back sweetened the wine yeast batch, bottled it still, and it turned out wonderfully well. I carbonated the S-05 and left it bone dry. After 6 months there wasn't really much of a flavor difference, either that or I'm not that good at picking up the difference.

Basically, RDWHAHB

the Montrachet will "kill" the us05, it'll be like you never pitched the 05. It will turn out as intended. The 05 would have been fine on its own FWIW.

Thanks for the quick replies. The dry yeast isn't a budget breaker hence the second pitch. It was slowly bubbling and really kicked off once I added the red star. I put a blowoff tube on just in case. In any case, I have no reference for taste so it should be good either way. The skill and precision of how I poured the apple juice will shine through I am sure

Back