Indie Music Lovers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He's my Brother, She's my Sister are quite good. I saw them in Chicago recently.

I am going to see The Thermals next week too. I love those guys.

Any fans of Dawes? They have a free show this summer at Millennium Park in Chicago.

He's my Brother, She's my Sister are quite good. I saw them in Chicago recently.

I am going to see The Thermals next week too. I love those guys.

Any fans of Dawes? They have a free show this summer at Millennium Park in Chicago.

Dawes is pretty effing fantastic. He is a little spotty though.

A little bit of everything, When my time comes? EPIC

Time spent in Los angeles, that new one? Fantastic

The rest, a little less solid, but I expect great things in the future. Not a fantastic live performer....:eek:sorry!

I like Dawes a lot. I have yet to check out their new album yet due to the fact that I've heard some not so positive things about it when compared to their earlier stuff.

Everest is another band I would recommend checking out...

JonM said:
Anyone mention the Raveonettes?

They're awesome. I saw them live last year on a whim and was blown away. I really like the modern shoegaze-y stuff like that, Silversun Pickups, The Joy Formidable, Tamaryn, etc.

I've also been getting into Foals lately.

Dawes' first album was great. After that they've lost it for me. I dig some of The National's tunes. Alt-J is still kicking my ass and I'm excited to see where they go with their sound. I've been listening to some Damien Jurado recently. Dunno if The Deep Dark Woods have been mentioned but they're great. Whitehorse is a cool indie duet with a swingy sound and cool harmonies. I saw Deer Tick a couple weeks back, horrible show. The lead singer was the epitome of a drunken ******.

I saw Deer Tick a couple weeks back, horrible show. The lead singer was the epitome of a drunken ******.

John McCauley has a tendency to get a bit too drunk during their shows and its unfortunate. I've seen them 3 times and 2 of the 3 he was relatively tame and they were great! The first time I saw them though, he was completely wasted and it was a terrible show... :(

Checking out alt-j.

Recommend an Irish band called Little green cars, check out my love took me down to the river on youtube, brilliant band with a big future

New National album is super

Recommend an Irish band called Little green cars, check out my love took me down to the river on youtube, brilliant band with a big future

New National album is super

I can't stand the guy in the National's voice, but I know a lot of people who swear by that band...I know it's a pretty unique voice so it's pretty much just preference.

I can't stand the guy in the National's voice, but I know a lot of people who swear by that band...I know it's a pretty unique voice so it's pretty much just preference.

I like his voice, but it is very easy to see how people might not like It

Whoa...just found this thread and I'm glad to see it is here! Haven't gone back to read everything yet, but will do so soon.

Just saw The Black Angels for the first time last weekend and they were fantastic. I've heard some songs here and there, but never put much time into them. Great band!

If you like The Black Keys blues/rock thing, Hanni el Khatib is worth a listen. He opened for the Angels and sounded pretty good.

Speaking of Little Green Cars, I was hoping to catch them at Coachella this year but a 12:30 set on Sunday isn't the easiest thing to see after two days of hanging out in the desert. Are there any other Coachella attendees here? This was only my second year, but it was an incredible time. Shouting Matches, Jake Bugg, Local Natives, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Grinderman, How to Destroy Angels, Puscifer, Violent Femmes, Hot Chip, Postal Service, Phoenix, Tame Impala, Vampire Weekend, Nick Cave...all fantastic sets!!! If only they served more than Heineken...

Anyway...glad to see this thread is here!

EDIT: Has anyone seen The Mountain Goats? They are going to be in Birmingham soon and wondering if I should check it out.

MTate37 said:
Whoa...just found this thread and I'm glad to see it is here! Haven't gone back to read everything yet, but will do so soon.

Just saw The Black Angels for the first time last weekend and they were fantastic. I've heard some songs here and there, but never put much time into them. Great band!

If you like The Black Keys blues/rock thing, Hanni el Khatib is worth a listen. He opened for the Angels and sounded pretty good.

Speaking of Little Green Cars, I was hoping to catch them at Coachella this year but a 12:30 set on Sunday isn't the easiest thing to see after two days of hanging out in the desert. Are there any other Coachella attendees here? This was only my second year, but it was an incredible time. Shouting Matches, Jake Bugg, Local Natives, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Grinderman, How to Destroy Angels, Puscifer, Violent Femmes, Hot Chip, Postal Service, Phoenix, Tame Impala, Vampire Weekend, Nick Cave...all fantastic sets!!! If only they served more than Heineken...

EDIT: Has anyone seen The Mountain Goats? They are going to be in Birmingham soon and wondering if I should check it out.

Mountain Goats are playing Chicago soon. I am going to try to make it. I have tix to the Thermals this Thursday night already.

my buddy just turned me onto Shouting Matches after seeing them at Coachella, big fan

I give The National a try every now and then but something about them doesn't quite do it for me. Not bad...just not great. Maybe the upcoming album will offer something a little different.

If there are any electronic music fans in this thread, the new Daft Punk is streaming here. Check it out while you can.

After listening to the live albums so much it's a little hard getting re-acclimated to their studio sound, but I'm enjoying this so far.

Can't say I've heard of Paige France, but will be checking it out after this album is done.

Great thread! Good music and good beer, what else do you really need in life. Maybe some food.

Here's my 2 cents:
Decemberists- the hazards of love. stunning, rock your socks off, wagner-esque.
Deerhunter- halcyon digest. why does god give some much talent to so few.
Elbow- the seldom seen kid. he did it again.
All things MMJ and jim james.
just a couple of albums that set the bar very high.

I didn't see these mentioned:
silversun pickups
the mark lanegan band
shearwater
frightened rabbit
meat puppets
white denim
zero 7
the divine fits

synthy/beat stuff:
grimes
the weeknd
TNGHT
and a band you'll want to drop that last hit of acid hidden in the bottom drawer for 10 years to listen to- fever ray

sun kill moon and kate bush's new albums are beautiful.
anybody heard those two?

anybody heard those two?

I didn't know Sun Kil Moon had a new album out, I'll have to check it out. Have you heard his Modest Mouse covers album from a few years ago? It's really good.

I haven't listened to Page France in a long time...thanks for the reminder!

Anyone mentioned Pinback yet? I've been listening to them again lately - they'd fallen off my radar for a few years, and I was happy to hear they've continued making great music.

Great thread! Good music and good beer, what else do you really need in life. Maybe some food.

Here's my 2 cents:

silversun pickups
the mark lanegan band
shearwater
frightened rabbit
meat puppets
white denim
zero 7
the divine fits

synthy/beat stuff:
grimes
the weeknd
TNGHT
and a band you'll want to drop that last hit of acid hidden in the bottom drawer for 10 years to listen to- fever ray

anybody heard those two?

Lots of good ones here with several I look forward to checking out. If you like Fever Ray check out The Knife if you haven't already.

Haven't checked out Kate's new record yet, but I loved her back in college. The Sensual World was a great album for coming down.

Also looking forward to spending some time with the new Deerhunter.

Here's my 2 cents:

silversun pickups
the mark lanegan band
shearwater
frightened rabbit
meat puppets
white denim
zero 7
the divine fits

synthy/beat stuff:
grimes
the weeknd
TNGHT

anybody heard those two?

Have you listened to Monomania yet?

New Vampire Weekend out today! Looking forward to picking that up.

Finally got through the thread this morning and am excited to see so much good taste and a lot of bands I don't know. I don't think I saw any of these earlier in the thread, but IMO they are all worth checking out.

Arctic Monkeys
Bear In Heaven - if you like Deerhunter you should like this
Blitzen Trapper
The Calm Blue Sea - if you like Mogwai...
The Cave Singers - saw them open for Fleet Foxes...good stuff!
Colin Stetson - crazy saxophone stuff...he played for Bon Iver and Arcade Fire
Darker My Love - Beatles + Grateful Dead? Maybe?
Django Django - quirky but great. I could see them on a Vampire Weekend trajectory if they get some notice
Hot Chip - very dancy and likely to be heard in a gay club, but very good and crazy fun live
Junip - Fields is a wonderful album
The Kills
LCD Soundsystem - iTunes calls them Alternative & Punk...I call them brilliant
Liars - start with WIXIW and work backwards...the early stuff is challenging to say the least
The Low Anthem - if you like things on the folky, alt-country side you should love this
Puscifer - Maynard James Keenan (Tool) side project...not indie, but in heavy rotation for me
Carina Round - sings with Puscifer but has beautiful solo stuff
Queens of the Stone Age - okay, so it is rock, but who cares? Best rock around IMO
The Shins
SPIRITUALIZED - go listen to Ladies & Gentleman We Are Floating in Space right now!!! Have just recently really started getting this guy and now feel like I've been missing out for years.
The Walkmen
White Rabbits
Beirut

Thanks to whoever mentioned Page France...kinda' reminds me of a restrained Ben Folds. I'm liking it.

^^^^^

Blitzen Trapper is a great band!

Also, here are a couple more bands I'm into. Okkervil River and Magnolia Electric Co. Sadly, Jason Molina who fronted Magnolia passed away earlier this year far too soon. Molina fronted Songs Ohia before forming Magnolia and they are damn good as well.

I'm also a fan of Junip which includes Jose Gonzales who is a great artist!

M83 is pretty cool as well.

Yo tate and hbtc. Love all that stuff, going to look into the ones you guys mentioned that i don't have. My music addiction started when i bought Talking Heads-'77, The Police-regetta de blanc, and The Sugar Hill Gang, i think that would have been 8th grade. Never looked back. It was a lonely road in the early days of interesting music, it was tough going to keggers and bars having my ear holes insulted. Started drinking Chimay and Sam Smith's when i was 17, that was when the only microbrewery was Anchor(that can't be right,can it?)(1980). So that ruined me for bmc.

Saw LCD and Hot Chip together a few years ago, that was cool.

Also the Psychedelic Furs and Electric Six, great show from both. the PF lead singer walked through the audience the whole time, they were loud. It was at the zoo.

just missed the Black Angels dammit.

here's a reminder of bands from 5 -10 years ago:
gomez, air, supergrass, apples in stereo, plants and animals,
depeche mode, dandy warhols, tears for fears, smiths, suba, rogue wave.

too many to name. its a fantastic time for good music and good beer. we're lucky to be taking this journey.

^^^^^

Blitzen Trapper is a great band!

Also, here are a couple more bands I'm into. Okkervil River and Magnolia Electric Co. Sadly, Jason Molina who fronted Magnolia passed away earlier this year far too soon. Molina fronted Songs Ohia before forming Magnolia and they are damn good as well.

I'm also a fan of Junip which includes Jose Gonzales who is a great artist!

M83 is pretty cool as well.

Blitzen Trapper put on a great show!

Here's some indie bands that I love. In no particular order. Except alphabetic, I guess.

*Deep breath*

American Analog Set
Broken Social Scene
Casiokids
Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros
Empire of the Sun
Fences
Fujiya and Miyagi
Headlights
Holy Ghost!
The Jealous Sound
Kurt Vile
Maritime
Matt Pond PA
Okkervil River
Peaking Lights
Pele
Phoenix
Pinback
The Sea and Cake
Silversun Pickups
The Smiles and Frowns
Starf*cker
Stars
Tokyo Police Club
Tulsa
Two Door Cinema Club
We Were Promised Jetpacks
The Whitest Boy Alive
!!! (chk chk chk)

I've got about 100 more that I could list, but you get the picture.

Yo tate and hbtc. Love all that stuff, going to look into the ones you guys mentioned that i don't have. My music addiction started when i bought Talking Heads-'77, The Police-regetta de blanc, and The Sugar Hill Gang, i think that would have been 8th grade. Never looked back. It was a lonely road in the early days of interesting music, it was tough going to keggers and bars having my ear holes insulted. Started drinking Chimay and Sam Smith's when i was 17, that was when the only microbrewery was Anchor(that can't be right,can it?)(1980). So that ruined me for bmc.

Saw LCD and Hot Chip together a few years ago, that was cool.

Also the Psychedelic Furs and Electric Six, great show from both. the PF lead singer walked through the audience the whole time, they were loud. It was at the zoo.

just missed the Black Angels dammit.

here's a reminder of bands from 5 -10 years ago:
gomez, air, supergrass, apples in stereo, plants and animals,
depeche mode, dandy warhols, tears for fears, smiths, suba, rogue wave.

too many to name. its a fantastic time for good music and good beer. we're lucky to be taking this journey.

Great story. My music addiction started for me around 8th grade as well. My hometown has a small liberal arts college that had a very good radio station. They played TONS of good college radio music (what Indie was first). :) R.E.M. was my first obsession! I was hooked the first time they played Radio Free Europe! Then came bands like , Husker Du, The Pixies, The Replacements, Camper Van Beethoven, Echo & The Bunnymen, etc, etc... I could go on and on!

Once I got to high school I got really heavy into the Grateful Dead and to this day, they are still my all time favorites! I never tire of listening to old bootlegs from their high points of the 70's and 80's! I had it rough after Jerry died and wondered if another band would ever be able to fill the void left when the Dead were no more.

Well, that void has been filled by My Morning Jacket for me! As I said earlier, I can't get enough of this band and, for my money, they are the greatest live act on the planet right now (with Wilco coming in a close second). I've seen them more than 20 times dating back to the first time I saw them in Cleveland back in 2006.

And today, we seem to be living in a great era to be a music fan. As diodeart said, it is most definitely a good time to be a fan of good music and good beer, both of which I can't seem to get enough of! :mug: :rockin:

Local Natives show just announced for Birmingham...heck yeah!

As strange as it seems now, Run DMC's King of Rock was my first memorable music experience. I would have been 9 at that time. What is that, fourth/fifth grade? Anyway, a kid that I grew up with was really into metal/hard rock that time so I was also listening to Motley Crue, KISS, Quiet Riot, etc. I guess it was fifth or sixth grade when things started getting serious when a kid I rode the bus with turned me on to Pink Floyd. Shortly after that I was digging through my mom's Beatles stuff. I was a band kid, so aside from some classic rock and whatever unusual bands (They Might Be Giants comes to mind) I could get my hands on I was listening to a lot of jazz and classical through high school. In the spring of my freshman year of college I got turned on to Hoist by Phish, and that was the beginning of my first real musical 'phase.' For probably four or five years it was nothing but jam bands for me, primarily Phish. That phase transitioned to electronic music and rave culture, which seems like a pretty natural transition given the similar vibe of the communities. During my rave years I started working in college radio which is where I guess is where I really started developing a well rounded appreciation for music.

In college I drank a variety of different beers, but in my part of Alabama you couldn't get anything higher than 5.5% so I wasn't exposed to much in the way of craft beer. I guess it was 2009 or so that Alabama finally raised the ABV limits so I've only been enjoying craft beer since then. Great Divide Titan was my first and I haven't looked back since.

There's (almost) nothing better than sharing great music and great beer with great people.

enjoying the latest Ducktails album - been a fan of Real Estate but just not getting around to checking out Ducktails - really digging the soundscapes, female vocals are kind of hit or miss for me

I can't name any bands, but I listen to a couple of unafiliated radio stations and hear some interesting stuff. I know a guy who just started a website for unsigned music, kind of like itunes for indies. (Forgive me, I'm low tech) It's called HiFiveMusic. I think it's a really good idea. I have no commercial interest in it. (I didn't really read the forum rules, so I hope this is ok. It's not spam)
http://hifivemusic.com/

I didn't know Sun Kil Moon had a new album out, I'll have to check it out. Have you heard his Modest Mouse covers album from a few years ago? It's really good.

The Sun Kil Moon is 2 years old, so newish. All acoustic, sounds like two or three guys on guitar but just him. Quite a feat.

I haven't listened to Page France in a long time...thanks for the reminder!

Anyone mentioned Pinback yet? I've been listening to them again lately - they'd fallen off my radar for a few years, and I was happy to hear they've continued making great music.

Been a Pinback fan for years. Just saw them in Dallas maybe 3 months ago, great show. Blue Screen Life and Summer in Abaddon are killer albums.

diodeart said:
The Sun Kil Moon is 2 years old, so newish. All acoustic, sounds like two or three guys on guitar but just him. Quite a feat.

Oh yeah, the finger-picked, Spanish guitar sounding one? That is a good one.

Been a Pinback fan for years. Just saw them in Dallas maybe 3 months ago, great show. Blue Screen Life and Summer in Abaddon are killer albums.

Pinback are awesome. You guys should check out Thingy...one of his many side projects.

Pinback are awesome. You guys should check out Thingy...one of his many side projects.

Another vote for Pinback. Love those guys. Rob Crow does have a million side projects doesn't he? I always get a kick out of Goblin Cock. They're pretty fun for a metal(ish) band. I picked up one of his solo albums the other day: Living Well. It's really good.

I'm glad to see at least one person mention Son Volt.

Huge Jay Farrar fan. I dig Son Volt, his solo stuff, and all the great songs he did with Uncle Tupelo

I love independent music but a lot of what I dig on would fit more in the folk/singer-songwriter, category. Love Townes Van Zandt, Justin Townes Earle, Joe Pug, John Prine, Ryan Adams, etc.

Also dig anything Paul Westerberg does. The same goes for Mark Kozelek.

I love independent music but a lot of what I dig on would fit more in the folk/singer-songwriter, category. Love Townes Van Zandt, Justin Townes Earle, Joe Pug, John Prine, Ryan Adams, etc.

If that's your flavor then you should definitely check out Pete Molinari. He's got a great folk/country thing going on . "It Came Out of the Wilderness" is just an amazing song.

Another vote for Pinback. Love those guys. Rob Crow does have a million side projects doesn't he? I always get a kick out of Goblin Cock. They're pretty fun for a metal(ish) band. I picked up one of his solo albums the other day: Living Well. It's really good.

Me three on Pinback. They're still around huh? Good to know. I wasn't aware of his side projects but will seek them out. Its nice to keep getting the hot tips on this thread because there is just so much good music out there. More then one beer damaged brain can keep track of.

Back