Fermentation and Dry Hop of 3 gallon batch in 6 gallon bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtnagel

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
It sounds like fermenting a 3 gal batch in a 6 gal bucket is okay because the CO2 created will protect it during fermentation. But what if I want to dry hop in the primary? Can I do that with a 3 gal batch in a 6 gal bucket? This is for a black IPA with a 1 week dry hop period.

It's a lot of headspace, but since the yeast is creating a CO2 blanket during primary fermentation it should be OK - assuming you don't disturb the bucket too much when the lid is open and cause the CO2 to start circulating with open air outside the bucket. CO2 is heavier than air, so if it is relatively undisturbed it should protect your beer.

Thanks. Hopefully I'm not risking oxidation.

I'm actually splitting up a 5.5 gal batch to test out two different yeast strains. I actually have 1 three gal better bottle that I could use to transfer 1 to secondary. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and get another.

Do you dry hop with pellets? I haven't tried this idea, but maybe you could fit the pellets through the hole for the airlock - if that works, it would be the safest approach. If not, opening the lid shouldn't be a problem still as long as you're careful.

Back