Bugs in brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hc990

Reaction score
Just racked my 2xIPA to the secondary. Everything seemed to be going well and I did not notice anything out of the norm i.e. funky smells, weird glops of floaties etc... However, I did notice a few small bugs that were somehow in the brew. They were just floaters and there were only about 5 of the tiny little critters. I know I cleaned and sanitized everything the same as I have done before. The only difference in this brew process is I used my propane burner and did it in the garage rather than on the stove. I still racked to the secondary and decided to see what happens. Has anyone else had this issue and should I allow it to continue the process or just dump and start over?

At this point I imagine that it's not really a big deal. I'd be kind of worried if it was before the wort fermented, but even then it is probably just added protein.

You could throw in a snake or a scorpion for good measure.
The-famous-snake-wine-2.jpg

You could always run a sanitized mesh strainer over the top nice and slow if you are really that concerned.

at one point in time i was worried about every little sanitary thing there was. after many batches of beer and cider i will say this...as long as the equipment is clean and you get a good ferment going with in 24 hours i would not worry about it. Had a bug in the cider carboy and thought it would ruin the batch but remember it wasn't that long ago where yeast was unknown and the magic stick did all of the work. Just sayin its nice to make a good clean beer but hey the unknowns is where the surprises live

FuzzeWuzze said:
You could always run a sanitized mesh strainer over the top nice and slow if you are really that concerned.

$399.99 solves your problem: Hayward Pool Vac XL (on sale now!!!)

57000.jpg

Just use a small sanitized strainer to fish them out. I wouldn't want to pour a beer with dead bugs floating in it.

I hate it when spontaneous generation happens in my beer...

Jokes aside, I'd get a small paint strainer bag and put it over the tip of my siphon to keep the floaters out when you transfer it again.

Back