building a tap system over a chest freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMortReport

Reaction score
I'm finally getting into kegging, and it being my offseason I want to build a kegerator. The plan is to get a 7 cu ft chest freezer, able to hold 2 halfs or 4 ponys. Im going to have 4 taps, and I hope to build basically a bar over the freezer with the taps. Now here is my question. Obviously chest freezers opens up, so I either have to hinge the top build or allow the freezer to slide out... Or someone here who has experience building a similar setup has a fantastic idea for me!

Hey pal you're in the right place. There are a couple zillion builds doing the same thing right here in the DIY forum. Look around.

First tip- probably a lot easier to work from the top hinge than slide the keezer around. That's what 99% of us do (me including), in many different configurations and hinge varieties. I just built a (beautiful) collar and then reattached the (otherwise stock) painted lid. Other folks get all kindsa sophisticated.

First warning- it is super difficult to get a 1/2 keg into a chest freezer by yourself. Don't do it. They are very heavy.

thanks for the tip, a hinge seemed like a better way to go about it. Ill search more, just got a little too far into my stash tonight haha.

Ive been a bartender for over 10 years, got 30 beers on tap where I've worked for the last 4... lift with your back, right?

Tons of build threads on here to do exactly what you are looking to do. Good luck.

Back