Which would u choose?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyc318

Reaction score
So Im thinking up a mock Oktoberfest recipe. I'm trying to decide between WLP029 German Kolsch and WLP810 San Fran lager.
Which would you choose for this style?

I did this last fall, right before we got access to a fermentation chamber, and I actually used Wyeast Bohemian lager and fermented at about 62*. Turned out fantastic.

This Carlsberg type yeast is the most widely used lager strain in the world. This strain produces a distinct malty profile with some ester character and a crisp finish. A versatile strain, that is great to use with lagers or Pilsners for fermentations in the 45-55°F (8-12°C) range. It may also be used for Common beer production with fermentations at 65-68°F (18-20°C). A thorough diacetyl rest is recommended after fermentation is complete.

Origin:
Flocculation: Medium-low
Attenuation: 73-77%
Temperature Range: 45-68F, 8-22C
Alcohol Tolerance: 9% ABV

I've heard of people doing that with that strain. I believe Dawson did that on a BTV episode about lager work arounds.

So Im thinking up a mock Oktoberfest recipe. I'm trying to decide between WLP029 German Kolsch and WLP810 San Fran lager.
Which would you choose for this style?

Neither will make a very close oktoberfest. But you could make a nice amber kolsch if you wanted.

Just read up on Ed Worts' Bee Cave brewery Oktoberfest recipe. I believe he used a Kolsch yeast and had great results.

I've heard of people doing that with that strain. I believe Dawson did that on a BTV episode about lager work arounds.

That's exactly where I got the idea. That was one of the fastest kegs we ever went through which was sad because that beer was great!

And don't listen to the haters, make your fake oktoberfest and feel good about it because it's your only option.

inhousebrew said:
That's exactly where I got the idea. That was one of the fastest kegs we ever went through which was sad because that beer was great!

And don't listen to the haters, make your fake oktoberfest and feel good about it because it's your only option.

That was probably my favorite episode of BTV.

Thanks for the support. I really like the Kolsch yeast. At 60 degrees it does a fine job. Also, it doesn't require as big of a starter as a straight lager yeast.

Both of those yeasts will benefit greatly from a prolonged lagering phase with the beer. But the kolsch yeast will not require a D-rest (dont know if the San Fran lager does though). I have made an Oktoberfest with kolsch yeast for several years and it's always a hit.

I made an Oktoberfest with the Wyeast California Lager yeast. I kept the temps under 65 pretty well, but I do not love this beer. It had more yeast character than I wanted. Sounds like you should give the Kolsch yeast a try. I would like to hear about the results.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I think I will probably choose the Kolsch yeast. It might be awhile before I actually get to brew this one. Have a GF beer on deck for SWMBO and I want to get my kegerator set up before too. I'm really tired of bottling.

When I do brew this, I will post recipe and updates on the batch.

An oktoberfest by definition is a lager, which requires lager yeast at lager temps and a lagering period. It's not a style nazi comment, it's a statement of fact. Nothing precludes the original poster from making an outstanding beer, but by the very definition of it not meeting the most fundamental requirements to be a lager, an oktoberfest it won't be.

The nomenclature provides a common framework for people to understand something using one word, rather than a convoluted explanation.

If I call something a tripel but use a lager yeast, it's simply not a tripel. Its malt liquor.

I suppose that's way I said I would make a mock Oktoberfest. I understand its not a lager with a Kolsch yeast and therefore not technically an Oktoberfest. Frankly, that doesn't really matter that much to me. Just want some opinions on which of those two yeast I mention would be a good option for a mock Oktoberfest recipe. So please don't hijack my thread with that philosophical question on what I should call my beer. I made a great Kolsch recipe with a Kolsch yeast, but it's not really a Kolsch since it was brewed in Oregon. So of you have advice on making an Oktoberfest recipe with a Kolsch yeast or San Fran lager yeast, please let me know. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back