Priming sugar used in boil/primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OpenSights

Reaction score
I started with extract, now AG, I still brew extract on occasion. Very quickly I decided to keg. Figured out how to force carb. So I have a bunch of priming sugar just sitting in my brewing fridge.

If I toss some in at the end of the boil I know it’ll raise the OG, but could it cause any off flavors assuming the yeast I use will tolerate the final ABV?

I have a vial of WLP099, which can ferment up to 25%. Not that I want a 25% beer, but I’m working on a big beer and thinking about using this yeast. I got it for free and it expired on 6/19. Obviously if the starter doesn’t take I won’t use it, and just pitch a couple of packs of US-05 and not add the sugar. 10 gallon batch.

Thanks in advance! Happy new year!

I wouldn't add it . It will cause you to have really dry beer . I've saved all the priming sugar I had and just used when I've bottled beer that I didnt want in my keg.

Sure you can use it. Many brewers add some sugar (sucrose or dextrose) in their high gravity beers, as it ferments out completely. It will raise alcohol without adding body or residual sweetness, reducing cloyingness.

There seems to be a limit to how much you can add before it becoming noticeable in flavor ("cidery" flavors are reported), depending on gravity and the other ingredients, but 10% is totally unnoticeable. From what I've read, DogFish Head's 120' IPA is doped with dextrose (corn sugar) toward the end of fermentation to reach her final high ABV (15-20%).

If that's dextrose, it's very commonly used in brewing, especially ales. It's what Duvel uses (~23%,) and a lot of DIPAs use a bit of it to dry them out a little (Pliny the Elder has ~6%.) Historically it has been the preferred adjunct in American ales (while corn and rice have been preferred for lagers) and many British ales, including Marston's Pedigree (~17%) use significant amounts. If it smells and tastes clean (don't know what an expiration date means on sugar) you could try using it judiciously and see if you find it desirable.

Sure you can use it. Many brewers add some sugar (sucrose or dextrose) in their high gravity beers, as it ferments out completely. It will raise alcohol without adding body or residual sweetness, reducing cloyingness.

There seems to be a limit to how much you can add before it becoming noticeable in flavor ("cidery" flavors are reported), depending on gravity and the other ingredients, but 10% is totally unnoticeable. From what I've read, DogFish Head's 120' IPA is doped with dextrose (corn sugar) toward the end of fermentation to reach her final high ABV (15-20%).
As I understand it, the reported "cidery" flavors attributed to sugars, common in the old "kit and a kilo" days of homebrewing, actually resulted from yeast being stressed by lack of nutrients when the malt extract was diluted with too much sugar. In commercial practice, brewers using sugar (as with any adjunct at high rates) may do a protein rest to increase FAN, and homebrewers can always add a spoon of yeast nutrient for insurance.

Back