Priming Sugar Calculators

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewNoob78

Reaction score
So I have been using the Northern Brewer priming sugar calculator as of late to formulate my priming sugar amount. So far first beer 2 weeks in bottle at specified sugar calculation from NB's calc and its still a little flat but I can tell its still carbonating as I have done a 1 week and a 2 week test and the pop did increase and the fizz/foam was more pronounced than in week 1.

For the sake of just having a broader spectrum of data I decided to check out Brewers Friend's calc and for the same beer, same temp, and same volume, the BF calc gave me a total of .35 oz's more.

Northern Brewer Calc = 4.15 oz to get desired CO2

Brewers Friend Calc = 4.5 oz to get desired CO2

Now I am not sure if .35 oz's will make that much of a difference but would assume it could potentially leave an added sweet flavor if its more than required to get to desired CO2.

My question is....Does anyone prefer one calculator vs another and it doesnt have to be between the two I mentioned above? Does the above .35 oz more from BF calc really make that big of difference when it comes to priming?

I have really been on the fence with going to Fizz drop tabs as I keep beating myself up about getting this priming formula correct based on the difference of information between the available calculators that I have tried.

Any opinions/feedback welcome.

I'm simple, so I individually bottle prime with white sugar. The TwistedGray Calculator says 1/2tsp of white, table sugar in each 12oz bottle. Heaping scoops for 16oz bottles and 1/2tsp + 1/8tsp for 22oz bottles. It adds a few minutes to the process, but have a beer :)

I use a formula that I found at http://www.backyardbrewers.com/?p=137 (I see the link doesn't work any more):
"Definitions:
Vbeer ≡ Volume of beer in US gallons
VCO2 ≡ Desired carbonation level in volumes of CO2
Tferm ≡ Fermentation temperature of beer in °F
PS ≡ Priming sugar weight in grams

Variables:
Vbeer = 2.69 gal
VCO2 = 2.6 volumes of CO2
Tferm = 58 °F

Priming sugar estimate:
⇒ PS = 15.195 × Vbeer × (VCO2 - 3.0378 + (0.050062 × Tferm) - (0.00026555 × (Tferm)2))

= 15.195 × 2.69 × (2.6 - 3.0378 + (0.050062 × 58) - (0.00026555 × (58)2))

≈ 65 g

Well there you have it; 65 grams of corn sugar."​

The formula goes into my brewing spreadsheet. For most beers I use about 2.65 volumes.

One thought - What CO2 volumes are you targeting? I find that many styles call for very low volumes (around 2.0), and that seems badly undercarb'd to me.

Also, I wouldn't panic after just two weeks. It should be pretty well carb'd up, but sometimes it takes longer. And if it's below 70F, it will almost for sure take longer.

I use a formula that I found at http://www.backyardbrewers.com/?p=137 (I see the link doesn't work any more):
"Definitions:
Vbeer ≡ Volume of beer in US gallons
VCO2 ≡ Desired carbonation level in volumes of CO2
Tferm ≡ Fermentation temperature of beer in °F
PS ≡ Priming sugar weight in grams

Variables:
Vbeer = 2.69 gal
VCO2 = 2.6 volumes of CO2
Tferm = 58 °F

Priming sugar estimate:
⇒ PS = 15.195 × Vbeer × (VCO2 - 3.0378 + (0.050062 × Tferm) - (0.00026555 × (Tferm)2))

= 15.195 × 2.69 × (2.6 - 3.0378 + (0.050062 × 58) - (0.00026555 × (58)2))

≈ 65 g

Well there you have it; 65 grams of corn sugar."
The formula goes into my brewing spreadsheet. For most beers I use about 2.65 volumes.

One thought - What CO2 volumes are you targeting? I find that many styles call for very low volumes (around 2.0), and that seems badly undercarb'd to me.

Also, I wouldn't panic after just two weeks. It should be pretty well carb'd up, but sometimes it takes longer. And if it's below 70F, it will almost for sure take longer.

Most of my target CO2 volumes come from preset amounts on the sites I mentioned forms. For instance we just did an Obi RON extract (American Wheat) and the form allows you to select American Wheat which gives you a preset CO2 volume of 2.6.

So for my beer according to the Northern Brewer Calc:

American Wheat - 2.6 CO2
Temp of beer: 66
Volume: 4.5 gallons

Grams of Corn Sugar - 117.74

When I use the Brewers Friend Calc for same beer same parameters: (The closest style is American Ale which states is 2.2 to 2.7 volumes of CO2 recommended)

Amount being packaged: 4.5 Gallons
Temp of Beer: 66
Volumes of CO2: 2.6 (selected same as NB calc)

Grams of Corn Sugar - 127.57

10 Gram difference from one calc to the next seems very skewed to me, yea?

So which would you use? I see your formula above and would assume that this would be the formula used in the two calculators, from what I would imagine are trusted sources of brewing information.

The nine gram difference in priming sugar will only change your volume by .1 Not significant IMO.

I use the NB calculator and have been happy with it.

I prefer batch priming to individual bottle priming. I feel it is more accurate. And I don't have to worry about skipping a bottle or dosing one bottle more than once....

BTW there is no "correct" priming. You have to be close to be within style for a beer, but what does it really matter if your IPA is slightly under carbed or over carbed?

The nine gram difference in priming sugar will only change your volume by .1 Not significant IMO.

I use the NB calculator and have been happy with it.

I prefer batch priming to individual bottle priming. I feel it is more accurate. And I don't have to worry about skipping a bottle or dosing one bottle more than once....

BTW there is no "correct" priming. You have to be close to be within style for a beer, but what does it really matter if your IPA is slightly under carbed or over carbed?

We will never come to terms agreeing which priming method is more accurate, and to each their own. I completely agree with the part I bolded though!

We are talking about homebrew, and we are talking about brewing something that we will enjoy drinking/sharing. I find carbonation to be a personal preference, and I enjoy heavy carbonation whether it's a hard cider, wheat, stout, or whatever. Almost all of my beers get the same priming treatment.

Now, if we are talking about submitting something for judging then it should follow the guidelines for that style.

Thanks everyone for the great info. I will just stick with NB and adjust as we go. This forum has been fantastic and you guys have helped me and my partners along our journey. Hats off to all of you homebrewers. The camaraderie is second to none!

Brew Well!!

Cheeers!

Now I am not sure if .35 oz's will make that much of a difference but would assume it could potentially leave an added sweet flavor if its more than required to get to desired CO2.

Not quite. The yeast are going to keep fermenting until they run out of sugar. So if you use more sugar you are going to end up with more CO2 (and more alcohol), not the same amount of CO2 and more sugar left over. In other words, in the end the beer won't be sweeter it will just be fizzier.

I gave up on the calculators a long time ago. I just use the same amount of sugar for almost every beer regardless of style. I use 5.25 to 5.5 ozs of sugar for 6.5 gallons, and have not had any issues. I'll occasionally use more sugar for some Belgians that are bottled in Champagne bottles.

For the sake of just having a broader spectrum of data I decided to check out Brewers Friend's calc and for the same beer, same temp, and same volume, the BF calc gave me a total of .35 oz's more.

Northern Brewer Calc = 4.15 oz to get desired CO2

Brewers Friend Calc = 4.5 oz to get desired CO2

You will not notice any difference between the two priming levels.

Latest posts

Back