Refractometer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kmcogar

Reaction score
I just need a little clarification about these things cause I kinda want to buy one. Can you only get OG readings with a refractometer? Is it worth the buy? Should I buy one on amazon for$26 or get one that's more expensive and not even know if it's better?

Any other info would be appreciated.

They're good for checking gravity with a tiny sample (just a few drops). You can check gravity with a hydrometer, which is cheaper, as well. A refractometer is not good for fermented wort though. I think they're worth it, and I got one for a lot more than $26.

I picked up one from amazon for $29 shipped. The one with ATC on it. My friend looked at it and said it was the exact one he got from northern brewer for over $60 and I have used it three times now and it seems to work very well. Reporting gravities right where they should be. Although I have not done a direct compare with a hydrometer.

If you want to use them for final gravity, after fermentation has started, you'll need to use one of the conversion formulas online or in one of the brewing software programs. Many don't like the conversion, because it can be slightly inacurrate, but I haven't found it to be a big enough issue to worry about.

A refractometer is not good for fermented wort though.

Actually Beersmith and Brew Calc will figure your gravity. You just input your reading, and your OG, turn "Fermenting Wort" to ON and it calculates where your at.

With that said, yes I like using mine, its simple, only takes a few drops, its temperature compensated, it wont break and end up in your wort or elsewhere. (people are always ,breaking hydrometers, there is even a thread about it :) ) HOWEVER..I dont know if its because Ive heard it here 100 times or not but I admit I will double check with a hydrometer before I keg:eek:

edit: to answer your question, you can use one to check the gravity at any stage in brewing process really...

They are useful for more than just checking OG; they are also helpful in assuring you hit your OG. For example, I usually brew with a strong roiling boil, but was hampered by the wind in trying to do so last week. This necessitated extending my boil. Using my refractometer I was able to estimate how much more time I would need in order to hit the volume and OG I wanted. This allowed me to adjust when I added my flavor and aroma hops so they were still at the end of the boil. I was able to hit both my desired volume and OG because I had a refractometer. $26 delivered off of eBay and worth every penny.

dirtyoldduck said:
they are useful for more than just checking og; they are also helpful in assuring you hit your og. For example, i usually brew with a strong roiling boil, but was hampered by the wind in trying to do so last week. This necessitated extending my boil. Using my refractometer i was able to estimate how much more time i would need in order to hit the volume and og i wanted. This allowed me to adjust when i added my flavor and aroma hops so they were still at the end of the boil. I was able to hit both my desired volume and og because i had a refractometer. $26 delivered off of ebay and worth every penny.

+1

Back