Remember when...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They did the last time I was in several years ago. I got two pair of them and two pair of the mid thigh ones. Expensive day but I really wonder if I will ever need to buy boots again.

I'm dissapointed that every second post isn't this:
a47.jpg

I remember playing with Silly Putty but usually on the comics page of the paper not the death notices! Kinda morbid...lol.

I remember most stuff posted here (only saw the 1st few pages then skipped to here). I remeber playing with big metal Tonka Trucks (you could ride them down the small hills too!), taking Polaroid pictures (and shaking them of course) and actually getting a stick of hard chewing gum with your Topps baseball cards. :)

My daughter got silly putty stuck in her carpet. Man that was a pain.

Speaking of my daughter, I had her with me when I went to buy stamps. I had to explain to her how stamps and the post office work.

I remember pulling up and ordering from a parking stall and the people would bring out your order. I think hamburgers were 25 cents or maybe 35 cents back then.

Yeah, you drove up, and some of them had also rough indoor seating usually nothing more like a screened in porch with a rickety wooden door, and picnic tables inside.

Looks like that's a waitress sitting on the bench in the pic I posted above.

You know that might be a business opportunity as long as the licensing was not to bad. I know I would go out of my way to eat in a place like that again if only because I remember it from my youth. Serve good food in nice portions and a cheerful attitude and it might work

It's definitely good directly from A&W but I think it's even lost something there. I think back in the day you got it in milk jugs it had the best taste ever.

I remember going to the A&W in Standish, Michigan a lot. I think the last time I was there was about eight years ago. I remember the root beer being a lot better when I was younger, but maybe that's just nostalgia.

I don't know if it's still there or not, but man, anybody else remember sitting at a booth, and ordering your food through the booth telephone?

Oh, and when even mentioning a "bicycle helmet" made you a laughing stock?

I was talking about my concussion from falling off a bike to someone and they said, "You weren't wearing a helmet?" I said, "This was 1982. Nobody wore helmets."

or what about these?
http://www.oocities.org/roadside_66/Dog_n_Suds.jpg
Regards, GF.

My first "fast food" they had amazing chili dogs or at least that's how I remember them. Was replaced in my small town by a Arthur Treachers, then it became a jiffy lube (sigh)

There was a Dog 'N Suds in Lake City, about 15 minutes from Cadillac, Michigan. We went there a couple of times when I was a kid after swimming in Lake Missaukee.

And we have an A&W in Big Rapids, about 15 minutes from my house. You can order from your car and they will bring it out to you to hang on the window.

A&W isn't my favorite root beer, but it's still good. Bit too sweet for me. I prefer Barqs. But their burgers are so good! And the chili dogs! I should totally get some of that garbage tonight when I take the kid to dance!

Just a few more random ones from my generation:

Being the TV remote :D (If Dad wanted the TV channel changed guess who was getting up to do it)

8-tracks were going to replace vinyl records.

You knew what a BetaMax player is and you also knew someone who had one of those super expensive laser disc players.

Pong and later that awesome Atari 2600 that your friend had but you didn't until Intellivision or ColecoVision surpassed it :(

Anybody remember those hams & slabs of bacon that used to hang from the rafters? They were never refrigerated, just wrapped in paper, covered with a net & hung up on a hook. Kinda like this one:
http://cheekyprimrosepork.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/ham-putting-in-drying-chamber.jpg

Or for those of you in southern MI, Drier's:
http://www.driers.com/
Regards, GF.
As a kid I'd go to the butcher shop with Mom. There were hanging meats everywhere and they had pens with ducks, geese and chickens. I always wanted to take a duck or chicken home....I didn't realize they were food at the time :D

I'm having some seriously weird 40 year old déjà vu.

I made the decision to drop pay TV and either stream or podcast everything I want to watch after my DirecTV contract expires in October.

So I'm sitting here looking at roof mounted TV antenna options for watching the local stations.

This could only get more weird if I had a burned out picture tube in my hand.

CooperBrew said:
You knew what a BetaMax player is and you also knew someone who had one of those super expensive laser disc players.

A couple weekends ago, my wife asked me how much she should ask for the laser disc player and movies in the yard sale. I convinced her that she MIGHT find a sucker on eBay, but no sane person is going to spend money on a dead technology.

I remember when gas was 25c per gallon,I got some smokes for 35c,& a quart of beer was $1.50. I could fill my tank,get cigs & a 6'r,& get change back from a 10 spot. Cheeseburgers were 15c,fries a quarter. Even the Whopper was only 55c when it first came to Elyria,OH.

A couple weekends ago, my wife asked me how much she should ask for the laser disc player and movies in the yard sale. I convinced her that she MIGHT find a sucker on eBay, but no sane person is going to spend money on a dead technology.

Thought the same thing BUT couple years ago I sold a dual deck beta player/recorder $380.00 + shipping to someone in Japan of all places so you never know.

I remember when me and my wife first started dating, we bought a 19 inch RCA television with a built-in VCR for $500.

There are still plenty of drive-in restaurants all over the South (Sonic's claim to fame is just that), and some mom-and-pop drive-in's too (drove by one yesterday in fact, in a small town in SC).

My folks had a few old Xmas records that were 78 RPM and were shellac (not vinyl) made and were not flexible like the later records.

We had a radio/record player that was a LARGE piece of furniture (I have a baby picture with me on top of it).

Avocado green fridge... Mairygold (sp) washer-dryer...

Anybody remembers "Lucky One" potato chips & soft drinks? Lucky one would deliver at the house.

Kik Cola? Allan's soft drinks?

MC

I was just thinking about my youth and while tons of things have changed the biggest change for me is play. Summertime and weekends I would take off on my bike and not come home till dinnertime. I would range far and wide on my bike and my folks never worried. I worry now though about any kids out playing :(

I was just thinking about my youth and while tons of things have changed the biggest change for me is play. Summertime and weekends I would take off on my bike and not come home till dinnertime. I would range far and wide on my bike and my folks never worried. I worry now though about any kids out playing :(

Yep, I used to disappear into the forest on Friday afternoon & not come back till Sunday afternoon. My folks didn't worry, infact, I think they were quite happy to have some time alone.
Regards, GF.

Varmintman said:

My Mom has told me several times about how she (age 5) and her brother (age 8) used to bike a couple miles into the foothills to play in the rocks and poke rattlesnakes.

Now she wonders if her parents even liked her :D

Remember when they told us how the 21st century was going to be so great, every home would have a robot slave, people would be living on the moon and/or Mars, we'd all have 5 hour work weeks & all this quality time to actually live life & cruise around in our own flying cars?

In the immortal words of Avery Brooks: "I still haven't seen any flying cars!"
Regards, GF.

Considering all the idiots on the road driving while texting/eating/talking on cell phones/doing their makeup/surfing the web on their laptops on their laps/plucking their eyebrows/reading a newspaper propped on the steering wheel, or some combination of the above I see while driving to work....I think we have enough issues with cars being on the ground. Kinda glad for the flying cars not being here yet.

Kinda hoping the zombipocalypse happens before we get the tech....hoping we can cull the herd of stupid people.

My Mom has told me several times about how she (age 5) and her brother (age 8) used to bike a couple miles into the foothills to play in the rocks and poke rattlesnakes.

Now she wonders if her parents even liked her :D

About 10 years ago I bought a house in a particularly industrial area. At the time I overheard a conversation between some neighbors talking about when they were young in the neighborhood they used to like to play with the mercury that would well up out of the ground and push it around into piles with their shoes and sticks and such.

Reminded me of Dan Aykroyd's character Irwin Mainway who sold dangerous childrens toys.

I'll stick with slingshots and Jarts/Lawn Darts, thank you.

About 10 years ago I bought a house in a particularly industrial area. At the time I overheard a conversation between some neighbors talking about when they were young in the neighborhood they used to like to play with the mercury that would well up out of the ground and push it around into piles with their shoes and sticks and such.

Reminded me of Dan Aykroyd's character Irwin Mainway who sold dangerous childrens toys.

I'll stick with slingshots and Jarts/Lawn Darts, thank you.

We had a big glass jar with a glass stopper full of mercury, we'd dump some out and separate it into little globs, and then try to crush press it etc. When all done push it all back together and back in the jar I think we also weight it as well fun stuff in grade school:p

Back