Things a Homebrewer Thinks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sure I'll help you with your home improvement project, and I really appreciate you supplying the beer, but let's talk about variety. No, American Lagers will not work for me.

Oh an my current dilemma.

"This is great! The weather is getting warm and it's time to move brewing outside! Oh look, dandelions, now I can make that Dandelion Wine I've been planning. And soon Strawberries. And Blueberries. Peaches. Plums. Apples. Pears. Pumpkins. Aw ****. I don't have enough carboys. Or time. Or money. Or a strong enough liver."

And this one happens too often, too.

"Oh, you're going to the dollar store? Great! Can you check their glass isle for a new beer glass for me? Yeah, I have only 12 different shapes, so if you see one I don't have.... What ones do I have? Oh well there's... Never mind, I'll just go with you."

When you think about bringing your own beer to drink at a family birthday party. Then decide that may be tacky and probably better to drink soda or water.

To my surprise they actually got some Sam Adams (better than nothing) instead of all AB/Inbev "Beer" (they are unaware of what is owned by BMC's).

I wanna brew on Saturday which means I have to empty a carboy first which means I have to bottle first which means I need to empty 12 bottles in the next two days......... Let's get started!

I wanna brew on Saturday which means I have to empty a carboy first which means I have to bottle first which means I need to empty 12 bottles in the next two days......... Let's get started!

This basically happened to me when I bottled last Saturday. I counted my bottles a dozen times, I counted 32 bottles and the big plastic bottles I had. I even remember "alright none of these are twist tops, I know I dug these out". Low and behold I was bottling, found 3 bottles that were twist tops (glad I spent the time cleaning those and delabling).

In a stroke of genius I remembered the night before I had drank 2 bottles of a coffee stout, so I turbo cleaned them off and got the labels off, then poured another of the same stout in a glass (yummy warm coffee stout). Sanitized, bottling went better than expected, and had a delicious glass of warm stout.

Bravo! Well played! Yeah, it's a though predicament, having to chug mass quantities of good homebrew just to make room for the next batch, but sometimes you just gotta take one for the home team.

Keith66 said:
Bravo! Well played! Yeah, it's a though predicament, having to chug mass quantities of good homebrew just to make room for the next batch, but sometimes you just gotta take one for the home team.

It's a dirty job but sometimes it's gotta be done!

PREFACE: Swmbo often goes to bed before I do, and snores loudly which keeps me awake.

MY THOUGHT: It's a lot easier to slam 1 or 2 brews after she sacks out than deal with her snoring in a more "acceptable" way. And it helps empty bottles too.

PREFACE: Swmbo often goes to bed before I do, and snores loudly which keeps me awake.

MY THOUGHT: It's a lot easier to slam 1 or 2 brews after she sacks out than deal with her snoring in a more "acceptable" way. And it helps empty bottles too.

"I could buy this 6 pack of a single type of Sam Adams... or I could buy this 24 bottle sampler pack and have lots of empties"

Been runnin all afternoon,joints hurt,got some things to clean & sanitize for a brewday tomorrow. A couple beers & a few shots of rhumatiz medicine should make that possible!...:drunk:

"Will this restaurant think I'm weird when I ask to keep the empties I make from their beer cave?"

ArkotRamathorn said:
"Will this restaurant think I'm weird when I ask to keep the empties I make from their beer cave?"

Normally if you talk with the bartender and explain that you homebrew and aren't making broken bottle knives, they are cool with it. At least in my experiences. Hell sometimes I even get a whole garbage bag full of various empties!

When you are thinking the food is gonna be really good simply because the beer list is 95% true craft beer!

The Smoking Pig BBQ, San Jose

(Walk into a pub) "damn I'm starving, any good stouts on draft? That will fill me up"

I've done this to many times, but I have to admit it works well for me..

"I could buy this 6 pack of a single type of Sam Adams... or I could buy this 24 bottle sampler pack and have lots of empties"[/QUOTE]

Workin on one of those tonight!

After finding $2.98 "distressed" craft beer six packs at Globe Drug in St. Louis (distressed meaning they were salvaged from truck wrecks):

"I can barely brew it any cheaper. Plus I'll have bottles. Plus I won't be drinking my stockpile of homebrew."

I've had at least a couple of each and the beer is fine. The big find was Founders Red's Rye PA. Fifty Four cents a beer y'all!

I'd love to find a place with distressed beers like that. Good way to try some new ones that cost too much normaly.

I got Founder's Red's Rye PA, Lakefront Bock, Arcadia Hop Rocket (tastes like my wheat ipa), and Left Hand Stranger Pale Ale.

I need to go back and pick up another case.

girlfriend caught me talking in my sleep the other night..

her recollection was that i kept saying i was trying to find somewhere to put the mash. She egged me on and kept asking where I was going to put it until I just said, "alright, it's going in the bucket, relax."

I have no memory of this event at all, and it wasn't even a drunken sleep (i've been known to say a few words during my sleep when im overly intoxicated)

I'd love to find a place with distressed beers like that. Good way to try some new ones that cost too much normaly.

My cousin is the manager for a large distributor in Chicago. Occasionally I get to sift through the "breakage room" for bottles. I have found some very good stuff in there. I'm talking Dogfish 120 quality.

I so need to find a distressed bottle seller. I am jealous. I did not know there was such a magical place. I thought they just disappeared off the side of the road and there were some celebrations at the PD, and FD, and Hospital, and Towyard those evenings.

I've been known to raid bins on my way out of pubs and fill my boot with them, and think to myself "well they were just goin' to throw them away"

I've been known to raid bins on my way out of pubs and fill my boot with them, and think to myself "well they were just goin' to throw them away"

Do you take your boots off to do this? Or do you travel with extra boots just in case? This is important man!

fuzzy2133 said:
Heck I'd put the bottles under the bonnet so I could heat sterilize on my way home. :rockin:

Hrm... Thinking of keeping a cooler full of PBW in the car...

This is how I feel when I run into issues on brew day:

"Alright brain....I don't like you, and you don't like me, but lets get through this together and I'll continue killing you with beer."

- Homer Simpson

unionrdr said:
Yeah your boots might get funky after doing that a few times.:D Technically,a boot in English is a trunk in American...

Thank you, that's exactly what I meant, forgot my US audience.
I did have a good laugh at the misinterpretation though.
Maybe a collection of old boots would be good in my 'TRUNK' to stop the bottles knocking about as I drive off?

Back