Hi from Houston

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eyeimbibe

Reaction score
Hi guys and girls,
I've been hiding out in the shadows the past couple of years learning various tips and tricks from questions and techniques posted here.
I just posted a question I couldn't find a definite answer too anywhere in the Kegging section of the forum.
I figured this would be a good time to say hi...

Currently in Houston with a corny key setup.
I haven't upgraded to all grain because I'm worried about the extra time cost but am hoping to make the jump soon.
I currently do partial mashes and boil using the typical turkey fryer setup.

My inital craze was dry hopping and other flavor additives to the secondary but now lately its been trying to come up with clones to recent released beers (e.g. Souther Star's Red Cockaded or St. Arnold's Icon Green). I'm also going to attempt keg jumping since I got a good deal on a 2.5 corny.

Anyway greetings!

Welcome from NC. You sound somewhat advanced already and it's people like you who I'm going pump for more info being a Noob myself. I don't call my first batch from a kit any experience, though it turned out good. Looking to branch out some.

Welcome to the group, from CO. PM brewing is hard to distinguish from AG. Invest in fermentation control- temperature, O2 injection, stirplate, before investing in AG (if you don't have those things already).

I did it backwards, my beer is much better with great fermentations now that I control the process.

Hi thanks for the reply.

I don't have anything at that level yet except the stir plate and "cononical flask"(silly texas law).

I have done yeast washes in the past but lately I've used dry yeast like Nottingham or s-05 so I didn't feel the need to do so as with the white labs.

I'd like to get a pre immersion chiller because I'm finding that when I get to roughly 85 it seems the chiller doesn't do much.

I think my next major purchase would be either to go all grain with the false bottom cooler or look for a chest freezer I can temp override for fermentation control. Currently I have to resort to ice baths in a big storage tub.

All grain does sound nice though...

Welcome to the Site. Another Houstonian awesome! What part of Houston? What Texas law are you refering to? I dont have a clue. I do all grain and it had a little more equipment but its fun. i do BIAB right now and planing a 3 tier system soon but that is just in the planning stages. I got a deep freeze from Home Depot for 150 but craigs list will be a good place to start on a cheap one. Just piece it together slowly and you'll get there.

I'm in the Galleria/SW side.
Here's a link to a post regarding it:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/different-erlenmeyer-flask-thread-144242/
I see you're in the Woodlands. I've been wanting to go to Southern Star, I mainly stick to Karbach. I have a recipe I am going to try and replicate the Red Cockaded Ale they have recently put out. I'm planning on posting it in the recipe forum if you want to critique.
The deep freeze is eventually how I want to go, either as a kreezer or putting a tower on top. I've never bought from Craig's list and am a little hesitant to do so.

Latest posts

Back