Favorite steak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I gotta say, if I'm paying for it I'm going to choose a nice chuck steak (with the dual bone, not the "half plus-sign".

Good cheap piece of meat that looks ratty off the grill, but tastes delicious and can often be cut in places with just the fork.

One of the vendors at a local market has longhorn beef, not my favorite because of how lean it is. Ran through the grinder with some applewood smoked bacon ends from the next booth up, with a nice $1 slice of cheese on top and it's a thing of beauty.

Back to steak, I don't think anyone has mentioned sirloin cap yet. I like it seared on a very hop flat top or skillet for a minute (or until crunchy) per side and pretty much room temp in the middle. It's almost soft enough to cut with a butter knife. I believe it's an auxiliary muscle and just sits there on the cow not doing anything.

I gotta say, if I'm paying for it I'm going to choose a nice chuck steak (with the dual bone, not the "half plus-sign".

Good cheap piece of meat that looks ratty off the grill, but tastes delicious and can often be cut in places with just the fork.

I grew up eating the chuck steaks with the half plus sign. Not the most tender but decent flavor. We lived in apartments in the city, so they were always broiled under the oven.

Just had a strip steak tonight. At $3.99 a pound they are the same price as chopmeat right now. The lower price makes them taste even better. Only now I'm in the country and can grill to my heart's content.

BarefootFriar said:
I've never had a good sirloin. Is there a trick to getting it to be tender enough to eat?

When I do a sirloin steak, I have the butcher cut it pretty thick, like at least 1.5 inches and marinate the heck out of it. If you get them pre-cut, they are just too thin and cook too fast. They are hard to cook rare and they generally are tough.

bistecca alla fiorentina made from a 2 1/2 pound choice or prime porterhouse is my favorite

bistecca.jpeg

I got spoiled on thick cut Argentinian steaks thanks to my old neighbor. Don't know the name of the cut of meat he used, but they are liberally seasoned with rock salt and grilled over a hardwood fire just long enough to form a nice crust and bloody, rare interior. And served with chimichurri. I've replicated them somewhat well using NY strip.

I had it on a hunting trip to Argentina. Fantastic!

Bone-in NY Strip - the bone is key to bigger flavor

1.5-2"

Bring it to 90F in cool oven with convection fan going..cooll as you can run it
Salt and pepper liberally
Fry in dry cast iron pan over high heat..about 3 min per side
Plate and tent with foil for a few min while you finish sides...

If very large may need some time in moderate oven after searing on stove.

For Mom's Birthday/A day early Mothers day, we cooked up some 3 inch thick Ribeye's from the local Food Dog (Food Lion for those who are confused) that only cost $6 a pound. Ehmahgerd, it was amazing. Nice sear crust on top and beautifully pink/red inside. Was a thing of beauty. Mom was happy

Edit:
I forsee jokes about mom and a large chunk of meat coming. Maybe I should be worried

For Mom's Birthday/A day early Mothers day, we cooked up some 3 inch thick Ribeye's from the local Food Dog (Food Lion for those who are confused) that only cost $6 a pound. Ehmahgerd, it was amazing. Nice sear crust on top and beautifully pink/red inside. Was a thing of beauty. Mom was happy

Edit:
I forsee jokes about mom and a large chunk of meat coming. Maybe I should be worried

We wouldn't do that on Mother's Day:)

I do like the rib eye on the bone, but it is hard to find around here. I'll eat strips forever at $3.99 a pound. But the minute the start selling Porterhouse on the cheap, I'm there.
I did some research on the Biscecca de Florentine thing or however you spell it. They got the right idea. I learned (and drooled) a lot as I read up on the topic. Just a dry steak on the grill with coals. No oil on the steak when cooking or you'll have burned oil. No seasoning until it is already cooking to prevent drying. Nice and rare in the middle with a crispy crust on the outside. That's for me!

I don't use heavy seasonings or smoke on my quality steaks. That stuff is for london broil and rump steak.

947043_10151426811034067_1883098829_n.jpg

Carnivore carnage. Medium rare, 1.5" rib eye (sous vide 3 hours @ 133 degrees with rosemary and garlic,) Parmesan, garlic and black truffle twice baked potato, and steamed asparagus. The steak and veg are drizzled with a bleu cheese cream sauce. Dinner and lunch.

947043_10151426811034067_1883098829_n.jpg

Carnivore carnage. Medium rare, 1.5" rib eye (sous vide 3 hours @ 133 degrees with rosemary and garlic,) Parmesan, garlic and black truffle twice baked potato, and steamed asparagus. The steak and veg are drizzled with a bleu cheese cream sauce. Dinner and lunch.

That looks absolutely delicious. Now I am hungry again. Now, what kind of beer did you pair it with?

That looks absolutely delicious. Now I am hungry again. Now, what kind of beer did you pair it with?

Actually I had no beer or anything with it. I seem to have sprung a gas leak in my keezer. I went to pull a pint of IPA and nothing. Spent 10 minute while the asparagus was steaming trying to diagnose it and failed. So I shut the gas off and just ate.

(I out a 3 gallon better bottle in there last night to cold crash and I must have knocked something loose....) Grrr.

I did crack a year old champagne bottle of fig/red rye saison after though.

Not all steak is beef steak. My wife cooked a ham steak for dinner the other day with a pineapple glaze that was beyond good. Yes I prefer beef steak but dang that pig was downright tasty :D

Rib eye.

From a moose.

I can't stand commercial beef any more... we've been lucky enough to have had a steady stream of moosemeat the past 4 or 5 years.

They are so lean. Seems like they would dry out and be tough.

How do you cook them to make them good?

I know steaks and roasts are different, but I made an elk roast a few months back and it came out pretty good. I used a "Cook's Country" (ie America's Test Kitchen) method that I usually use for lean beef roasts and it came out pretty good.

General method - I kind of did a hybrid of a couple of recipes. I cut slits throughout the roast and add cloves of garlic and rosemary into eat slit. I oil and salt and pepper the outside of the roast. Then I brown the meat in a good oven-proof skillet (wife and I treated ourselves to an All-Clad 12-inch stainless skillet last year). Put it in the oven at 225 for a couple of hours and you get a damn tasty roast.

A couple of days later, I made my FIL a Chile Colorado with the leftovers and he was in heaven. He had just started chemo a few weeks before and food wasn't his friend but the Elk roast and the subsequent Chile Colorado agreed with him for a few days.

I like skirt steaks (or flank steaks). Perfect for steak fajitas or a diner steak as well. I also like it blackened. The key is to cook it slow to mid-rare and cut it side-ways to the grains.
I also like me some big-o, giant, thick T-bone or Porterhouse steak :)

I kind of want to call someone "moose meat". Shut up, ya moose meat.

Not sure why?

I've had a couple ex's who called me that... I'll leave it to your imagination as to why... :ban:

I would guess a quick high temperature sear then rest in a warm oven or in indirect heat off the coals.

Yup. Moose is ultra-lean.. a quick sear then slow-grill makes the steaks perfect.

Question for those who eat tri tips. Are you buying an actual tri tip or sirloin cap? Here in Texas the sirloin cap is often cut off and sold as tri tip, but it isn't the REAL tri tip

Boneless Ribeye, with a heavy crust of salt, some pepper, and some olive oil rest for 45 minutes, cook medium-high heat for about 10 min each side on open grill (medium rare), rest for 5 more minutes. Served with sour cream and garlic mashed potatoes, fresh or frozen green beans, a glass of milk, and an IPA.

OK, Answer this:

Big chunk of fat on your steak, crispy and charred

Eat it or leave it?

A friend of ours put one of our rheas in his deep pit a few years ago. That was amazing but not something I can do on a regular basis.

On special occasions I usually have a ribeye, med rare, served with sautéed mushrooms and slow-roasted garlic.

Can't stand the fat.

And sirloin is hamburger meat IMO. Garbage steak, won't eat it.

The important thing for a tasty steak IMO is just seasoning with adequate salt and pepper. And adequate salt is something most people would say is way too much - and then doubled. At the dinner table, it would be a disgusting amount of salt, but for seasoning it's important and every chef knows this.

The fat, depending on how the steak was prepared can be delicious. I will eat it if I am still hungry and it is still warm and not a massive chunk, otherwise I have no problem rendering it down like bacon fat to be used in other applications.

Deer Tenderloin Fillet rub Salt, Pepper, Olive oil wrap sage fresh whole basil leaf wrap in foil place in fire pit rotate until rare

Onion and Bell pepper rub Salt, Pepper, Olive oil stuff onion in pepper wrap in foil place in fire pit rotate

potato rub Salt, Pepper, Olive oil wrap in foil place in fire pit rotate

save left overs dice and scramble with eggs in morning add salsa and hot sauce

Josh's campfire meals. MREs are only for military "cause they have no choice" and city folk :D

Latest posts

Back