May 2013 New England Grain Buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is for 50#. If you want less then that put a fraction in the box. A quarter of the pail is 12.5#.

There's an 8lb container according the the sales form: SS-PBW8LB - $29.

I added the code but put it in the 50lb spot because I wasn't sure what else to do. Is it ok to order the 8lb?

I honestly don't want to order a 8lbs tub makes us look like a homebrewer account so we could loose the ablity to order from NCM. This is one of the few buys that are still getting the true wholesale prices. Also it messes up the bag count a 50lbs pail counts as a bag. Most times if one person goes in for a pail of PBW it will fill.

crazyirishman34 said:
I honestly don't want to order a 8lbs tub makes us look like a homebrewer account so we could loose the ablity to order from NCM. This is one of the few buys that are still getting the true wholesale prices. Also it messes up the bag count a 50lbs pail counts as a bag. Most times if one person goes in for a pail of PBW it will fill.

Makes complete sense - wasn't thinking like that! I'll see if anyone wants to split.

I just want to be able to keep this up till I get my Brewer's Notice from the TTB then we have more options of were to buy grain. I did look in to Cargill and they are a good bit more expensive. Also they charge more to ship the grain.

I live way up in northern Vermont (Newport) and would be interested in getting in on this deal as I just purchased a mill and am anxious to start buying bulk.
Is anyone remotely closer to me in on this deal?

I would pay for some gas or even go for a long drive to help sort, etc...

PM me if interested

Anyone from Westchester County NY or Fairfield CT want in on this buy? I'm getting 6 sacks, and have room to bring few more for a share of the gas money. It's about 350 miles round trip. At 20 mpg and $4/gallon, it will cost about $70 in gas. So if we bring one extra back, the gas money would be $10 per sack. If we brought back 10 total sacks, the gas would run $7/sack. And you can pick up your grain from me.

Also a strong possibility, we are planning a maiden excursion to Hill soon. I am told that it is a little off the beaten path. If I find it and not get lost, a grain for growler barter would be great deal.

@ brewkinger
I live in Littleton NH and am going to go in on this buy. i can help you out. i work in boston 2 nights a week and can pick up for you. I used to live in newport and all my family is up there so i could drive up and drop off and then say hi to family. just another option for you. Pretty much goes for any of te northerners. i can help you get what ya need. just pm me and we can work it out.

i'm going to be in for 2 sacks 2 row and 2 sacks wheat. now to figure out this spreadsheet.

If you need help just let me know. We are pretty close to the second pallet full. I posted for half a bag of the break bright. It is an irish moss substitute.

yeah i figured it out pretty easy. i really am looking forward to this buy! time for some summer brews!:mug:

With regards to the splitting of a bag of Pearl, pardon the NOOBness in me.
What is Pearl?
In what context is it used for brewing?
Up to this point, I am most familiar with 2row base malts, crystals, roasted, etc..
This is the first I have seen or heard of Pearl.

It is a modern British barley variety just like Maris Otter is an old variety. Most likely it is kilned to a pale ale. So it would be considered a base malt. I have never used it so I can't speak to the characteristics that it imparts in the finished beer.

Some clones of Heady Topper state they may use Pearl so I wouldn't mind taking a stab at making something similar which is why I would like to get some. My local homebrew shop in Weymouth MA does not carry it so I have yet to try it out.

If no one wants to split then I may opt for the entire bag myself but would like to offer splitting with anyone else first.

I am thinking that we should close the buy at 2 pallets. Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Also we have omen chemical splits. If you need them please fill them in. Especially the break brute. Its really great kettle finings. One tab does 10 gallons.

Is anyone interested in splitting a box of dark candi sugar?

Alrighty the buy is closed. The shipping is going to be the same as last time. You can start sending checks in. If you have the info from last time the only change is that you should make the checks out to Down the Road Brewery Inc.. If you need any of the info just send me a PM.

OK the sheet is all set all the pricing is correct and double checked. One last time if anyone is interested in splitting a box of the candi syrup it would be $24 each.

Any chance I can add a pound of coriander, pound of bitter orange peel and pound of sweet orange peel?

Latest posts

Back