Ferm chamber below 40 degrees

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuyBob

Reaction score
I am trying to cold crash a summer ale for the first time. No matter what I can't get the fridge much below 40. It's a sayno mini fridge and i built stc-1000 for a controller. The dial on the inside for temp control i have set to the coldest setting. The fridge does not have a freezer. Anyone have ideas? Does this sound like the fridge is only designed to go this cold? In the back it does have some Ice build up. I can't really mess with it now cause I'm still cold crashing.

image-1600879692.jpg

I am trying to cold crash a summer ale for the first time. No matter what I can't get the fridge much below 40. It's a sayno mini fridge and i built stc-1000 for a controller. The dial on the inside for temp control i have set to the coldest setting. The fridge does not have a freezer. Anyone have ideas? Does this sound like the fridge is only designed to go this cold? In the back it does have some Ice build up. I can't really mess with it now cause I'm still cold crashing.

You might be able to adjust the coarse adjust screw in the built in thermostat, if it has one. The other option would be to wire around the built in thermostat.

Honestly, I don't know if you will be able to get it much colder.

The ice buildup is likely throwing temps off. Ice forms around 32 F. The fridge thinks it is about that cold (likely a bit warmer as air is being circulated and the thermostat is not going to be super sensitive. As long as the ice is there it thinks there is no need to go any cooler. 40 F is considered the safe zone for foods. Without a freezer I doubt it'll get much cooler, there's no need to in Sanyo's eyes.

I'd remove the ice and look for the screw Cpt_Kirks refers to and try to adjust.

Related topic - how long do you cold crash and do you cold crash right up until bottling or give it some time to warm up a bit first?

How long have you had it in the fridge? It took 2-3 days for my Igloo to get down to lagering temps, but works fine now.

Yea. I'm gonna try and look for the screw. I've heard this works if it has one. I start cold crashing yesterday morning a out. 7 a.m. I set for 34 degrees and it was At 70-72 when I left. Got home at 6 and was hovering around 39-40. I had sensor taped to fermenter and insulated. Works real well. I thought than I should put sensor in the 1 gallon water/sanitizer jug to be more efficient. I have a $8 digital thermostat I use to double check temps. I wanted to cold crash @ 34 but still a little off.

Once you have this all complete, you definitely still need to defrost all that ice. My fermentation chamber does the same thing. The ice builds up about 3 times a year and I have to manually defrost it to get my temp controller and fridge back on the same page.

Good luck!

Fermentation puts out a lot of moisture. I get about 1/2 inch of water in the bottom of my freezer when I have 2 beers fermenting at the same time. That's probably where your ice is coming from.

Ok. Found a screw at the back of tstat housing inside the fridge. Had to remove/loosen to gain access. Turned 1/ 4 clockwise and now getting colder temps. Tanks for input. Hope this helps someone else. Thanks for input. Cheers

Latest posts

Back