Will IPA benefit from 24 hr cold crash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BinghamtonEd

Reaction score
I have an IPA in the primary right now. Fermentation appears to be going well (nice-looking krausen and lots of activity) and starting to wind down. If all goes well, I will be dry-hopping (2oz for 5 days) on Monday (so, 4 days from now), then bottling. That would be a total of about 2-2.5 weeks in primary.

My question is this : Would I benefit, in terms of clarity and sediment in the bottle, from a 24-hour cold crash? Mostly I'm thinking about sediment, and the fact that I'm bringing this to share at a family event and most likely people will want to drink right out of the bottle. Also, this will only have about 3.5 weeks to bottle condition (should be around 6% ABV, looking for 2.0-2.3 volumes). Would I stand a substantially higher chance of this being carb'd and drinkable in 3.5 weeks if I did not attempt to cold crash?

I'd cold crash it. If you get worried that it's not carbing up fast enough do two things:
Move it to a warmer place if it's in a cool place
Shake the bottles to get the yeast off the bottom

I should add that bottles are stored in the corner of my living room (ask my wife how awesome she thinks that is:rolleyes:) covered in a blanket, the room is usually around 70-75 degrees. Fermentation temps have been around 65-68.

if you are dry hopping with pellet hops cold crashing will likely help them drop to the bottom with the yeast/trub making it easier to rack

how effective it will be in reducing yeast sediment will depend on which strain you use and how flocculant it is but 24 hours is still better than no cold crash IMO

Cold crash primary, rack to secondary and dry hop. After you've dry hopped for your desired amount of time, cold crash again, then bottle.

Back