What's up with New York license plates?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kombat

Reaction score
My wife and I were in Lake Placid for a wedding this weekend, and one thing we couldn't figure out was why some NY license plates were white, and some were yellow. Can someone crack the code for me?

The yellow ones are the "new" style which are actually intended to look retro. The white ones are the previous style and there are many still valid out there. I was bummed when I got my new car and had to get an ugly yellow one.

A few years ago - the state legislature tried to have a money grab and rolled out new plates (the ugly yellow ones) that were going to be mandatory for all to replace the previous generation (the white and blue ones) at a cost of about a hundred bucks a pop.

The white and blue ones have been in use for a little over a decade, having replaced the previous red and white statue of liberty plates.

Uproar ensued and the legislature changed course.

Now - any new registrations get the new Yellow plates while existing registrations can keep the white and blue plates. You have the option to upgrade, but it tacks on around $60 to your re-registration fee.

They were supposed to give a retro look to the plates, but instead just look terrible.

All of my cars still have the blue and white plates - I registered the last one a week before the switch was made.

New York actually used to have blue-on-yellow plates. I remember them, and even the tag on my parents' '81 Bonneville that had them. They switched over to the red white & blue liberty tags in the mid/early 90's I think and then the blue on white ones in the early 00's. Now they are going to back to the old color scheme. I kind of like that they went retro, but I wish retro wasn't so ugly in this case.

Back