Primary fermenter size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Al Morse

OscarMike0369
Reaction score
I literally just brewed my first batch of one gallon brewers best American ale today. I have made some mead in the past, but this is my first go at beer. I put the brew in a 5 gallon bucket that I have instead of the two gallon pale that the recipe called for. I think it should be okay unless there is something I am not thinking of. Will my future 5 quarts of awesomeness be okay?

Thanks. Definitely like the shorter fermentation times. Looking forward to making some good recipes. Is there an app that can convert 5 gallon recipes to 1 or 2 gallon sizes, or is it just time for math?

Welcome! I also use Brewers Friend to scale 5G recipes to 1 or 2G. Pretty user friendly, I like to fine tune the quantities to get my preferred IBUs and gravity. If you want to try different primary ferm vessels at some point, I recommend the 3G Better Bottle and 1.4G Little Big Mouth Bubbler.

Welcome! I also use Brewers Friend to scale 5G recipes to 1 or 2G. Pretty user friendly, I like to fine tune the quantities to get my preferred IBUs and gravity. If you want to try different primary ferm vessels at some point, I recommend the 3G Better Bottle and 1.4G Little Big Mouth Bubbler.

Thanks. I downloaded Brewers friend it looks like just what I needed. I will take a look at the 3G Better Bottle. I figure I will keep the batches smaller until I get a good beer that I want 2cases worth.

I recommend Fermonsters over the other options.
Wide mouth. Optional spigot. Smooth walls. Seals well.

I think small batch is good until you work some kinks out of the process.

I agree with brewing small batches (in my limited brewing knowledge) I think it just makes sense. You don’t hand someone a .50 cal for their first shooting experience. Plus... I can kill a 12 pack on my own if it sucks. Beer is beer. It’s like sex! Even if it’s bad it’s still good.

Back