Aluminum measuring cup in oxyclean....oops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcrawfo2

Reaction score
So....in prep for my first all-grain brew, I took my new aluminum measuring cup (sparge water transfer and vorlauf) and soaked it in hot oxyclean overnight.
I've read I can boil it to make it back to normal. Since I'm not boiling in this cup...can I just use it and it'll oxidize/normalize over time?

From the little I know on the subject...

What you did ended up oxidizing the crap out of it, effectively sealing it with aluminum oxide, a very tough substance.

It is so tough that some laminate flooring is coated with this stuff to make it resistant to scratches and wear and tear from daily use.

It probably turned dark and an ugly shade of gray and looks dirty, but if I remember correctly, that's exactly what is accomplished by anodizing aluminum parts, except when anodizing aluminum, they can control the process and make it look shiny and pretty.

So I would not be too worried about it.

That's what I figured...but then I read about people doing this to the brew pots...and taking the trouble to boil and get rid of it.
Just trying not to honk up my first all-grain

dude... post... pics.. I want to see it :)

I have no advice, I don't have any aluminum equipment; I'm just along for the ride.

Half cleaned by boiling

image-1605280554.jpg

Old post, new question. I just got one of these old al measuring cups for a buck, and it is about three times the size. Problem is, it it's heavily coated with what looks like mineral deposits/lime on the inside. From what I have read, am thinking of a weak vinegar boil. Screwup waiting to happen?

Back