Group Buy in Chicago #8

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes it was th Briess cherrywood smoked... its tasty (if you like rauchbiers) - down from 1.060 to 1.018 in 8 days on 007 still chugging along, getting racked the coming weekend.

I qualified the "if you like rauchbiers" because my girlfirend is a smoker and thinks its too smokey, and I am not a smoker but enjoy smoked meats/jerky's and think it could be more smokey and not be too cloying. I wimped at 12%of GB.

I combined the smoked malt with some rye malt, both from the last buy. I bottled it about 10 days ago and just cracked one open to see what was happening. The beer has mellowed a bit but is still a bit phenolic. Let me know what happens with yours.

Randar said:
Try when you're not on an airplane, Karl! Oh, and try from a real computer, too. :)

Funny you mentioned that, given I'm an airline pilot. But I'm not on a plane now, just in Canada, where wifi is the only way to go without massive charges. I'll try tomorrow when I get home, though I've tried on my home computer a couple dozen times. Sorry for all the work. Thank you.

Funny you mentioned that, given I'm an airline pilot. But I'm not on a plane now, just in Canada, where wifi is the only way to go without massive charges. I'll try tomorrow when I get home, though I've tried on my home computer a couple dozen times. Sorry for all the work. Thank you.

re-register again as if you were a new user. remember your credentials!

I combined the smoked malt with some rye malt, both from the last buy. I bottled it about 10 days ago and just cracked one open to see what was happening. The beer has mellowed a bit but is still a bit phenolic. Let me know what happens with yours.

I'd be more than willing to meet for couple bottle cross sampling, what kind of phenolic flavor are you getting, what yeast did you ferm out with. Mine is only 8 days in but I didnt get anything not expected.
70% base, 12% smoked, 4% ea c40 85, black, choc and 2% Xtra Spec... 007 @ 64

Appologies...I know this is a grain buy...Im a side tracker...sorry.

cheesecake said:
Is there whirlfloc split of some sort? Ive been coming in every couple pages

I also started a starsan split

If its still going ill jump on that after my kids are down.

Trying to remove a split it and its giving me an invalid parameter page.

Logged out and then back in. All cleared now!

Yeah, the system's a little buggy at times, but I'd much rather have the bugs than not have the tool. Props to ghoti. And to Bill for managing the data.

The other night my nephew and I both accidentally picked up the same split at the same time. The split was removed from the "available" list but showed up on both our "purchase" lists. After several page refreshes on both our ends (thinking that might drop the erroneous split), I ended up dropping mine just in case, after which the dropped split did not show as available. Just noting the issue for future reference as this might end up causing some incorrect allocations if it unwittingly occurs for other users.

I will take a look at the bug to see if I can see what is going on. There have been some updates but since we needed to get this buy in on such a short time we needed to hold back on the launching the updates.

Is there any way we can get a notification a day or two before the buy closes? I know I still have some 'open' hop splits that may not be filled. I'd like to try and add ones I can get before the close (seeing as how I have some $$ allocated for this - might as well spend as close to my full amount as possible).

Thanks!

@dbarton02 Yes, I can reach out to you to let you know when we are close to closing.

I would be interested in some breakbright/whirlfloc split as well.

Bill (Begin2Brew) you rock. I'll have at least 3 sac's and articz will be picking up from you. Hopefully you have a truck :)

My breakbright split is filled, someone will need to add another to their order and track it.. the next increment from 2.2lbs is 5x at 11. I've seen 3 interested after mine filled.

Just added my order:
100lb Briess 2-row
55lb Thomas Fawcett MO
50lb Great Western 2-row

Man. If I wasn't expecting a bumper crop of third year hops this year I'd be all over the hop splits. As rewarding as it is to grow the hops, it sure would be fun to buy hops as cheaply as they can be had through the group buy.

i did today's first spreadsheet update and we are at 268 sacks. Last buy, the biggest to date, was 297. Can we break 300 sacks?

Stealing this from Ghoti.

IL HOMEBREWERS - PLEASE TAKE TIME TO READ THIS AND CALL YOUR ILLINOIS SENATOR AND ILLINOIS REPRESENTATIVE

The Vote for House Bill 630 is this week! Please pick up the phone and call your local Senator and Representative to let them know that you would like them to support House Bill 630. You can find who they are for your district by following the Illinois Homebrew Link and clicking the IL House and IL Senate tabs at the top of the screen.

This is a monumental opportunity for homebrewers in Illinois. Please take a few minutes today and make a call for support.

Thanks - Your Fellow Homebrewers at Chicago Brew Werks

Illinois Homebrew Alliance (IHA) Call to Action:

If you are a homebrewer, or you are a friend with a Homebrewer, please take a moment to read this. The Vote is scheduled for this week, so the sooner you call, the more impact you will have!

SHORT VERSION:
- Visit IllinoisHomebrew.org, locate your Illinois Senator & Illinois Representative on the website, click on their name, locate their Springfield Office phone number and call it.
- Tell the person the phone "My name is YOUR_NAME_HERE, I live in your district, and I am calling to ask you to support House Bill 630." If they ask your address and name, be sure to provide it so they can confirm you residency.
- Tell your friends, family, and neighbors to do make the same phone calls!

LONG VERSION:
The IHA has been working to draft a bill that will change Illinois Law to codify existing practices and expand curtailed rights for Homebrewers.

The bill that was drafted, House Bill #630 (HB630) was negotiated with a group called the Associated Beer Distributors of Illinois (ABDI) over the last few months. The bill, while not perfect, gets us a number of things that we as Homebrewers want. Among them are:

- Homebrew Tastings will be legal (again) at Beer Festivals such as, oh, I don't know, the Midwest Brewers Fest!
- Homebrew will be legal to consume in any location where commercial beer can be consumed. (so long as you don't share it with the public). The park, tailgating, Ravinia, ...a Homebrew Club Meeting... all become officially legal.
- The fermenting of Homebrew becomes legal at any Homebrew Shop willing to allow it.
- Homebrew Shops, if they get the insurance for it, are allowed to brew their own homebrew and serve samples to customers.

To get this bill passed, we need you to take 15 minutes out of your day and make two telephone calls.

- Visit IllinoisHomebrew.org, locate your Illinois Senator & Illinois Representative on the website, click on their name, locate their Springfield Office phone number and call it.
- Tell the person the phone "My name is YOUR_NAME_HERE and I am calling to ask you to support House Bill 630." If they ask your address and name, be sure to provide it so they can confirm you residency.
- Tell your friends, family, and neighbors to do make the same phone calls!

That is it. You have done your part to help ensure the passage of House Bill 630. Thank You and Congratulations, go open a Homebrew in celebration!

I just added 1lb of Centennial for $7, what a great price.

Centennial is not available to us. It is sold out for the year. The catalog, which is linked in the notes section, shows what is available...

I just added 1lb of Falconer Flight 7C instead.

idigg, unless I missed it, you may have all #11 in your cart. If you want only 1, you start a split and see if anyone else picks up the remaining #10. If the split isn't filled, the split is dropped from everyone's order who added a partial split. If you really want the split to go through, you can harass people on here like I did last GB with Acidulated Malt, which went through, BTW and which I just used in my Belgian Wit this weekend. :ban:

idigg, unless I missed it, you may have all #11 in your cart. If you want only 1, you start a split and see if anyone else picks up the remaining #10. If the split isn't filled, the split is dropped from everyone's order who added a partial split. If you really want the split to go through, you can harass people on here like I did last GB with Acidulated Malt, which went through, BTW and which I just used in my Belgian Wit this weekend. :ban:

I'm pretty sure I got the last lb of FF 7C, as 10lb are already spoken for on the user order list and FF 7c is off the available splits now. Hopefully I didn't screw anything up :ban:

I wanted to see if anyone is around the Crest Hill or Joliet (Southwest Subs really) area that is planning on attending the pickup. I've got a very small car so likely not able to fit the order. I'm up for riding along of course, but need help on pickup day either way.

Ofcourse I've got some brew to share when we return. Got a Neopolitan Stout (The Matrix) and a Choco blackberry wheat on tap along with a couple bottles of a Balgian Ale and Peanut Butter porter.

Let me know if anyone is able to help with pick up or need a helping hand and is able to fit another 3 sacks along for the ride!

Thanks.

Gothic...just to confirm this is the one I currently have on order:

Styrian Savinski Golding - Slovenia

That ones not available?

Gothic, if your talking about the Product list when you go to the spreadsheet for the buy then they are on there. If there is another catalog, then I don't know where it is. First timer here, so it could be my ignorance.

Gothic, if your talking about the Product list when you go to the spreadsheet for the buy then they are on there. If there is another catalog, then I don't know where it is. First timer here, so it could be my ignorance.

there is a GENERAL INFO tab in the spreadsheet. All of the info is there.

rgauthier20420 - I am located in Naperville and will be bringing grain back that far west.

Anyone interested in my Thomas Faucett Crystal II split? I could change to Crystal I if someone would take that. I'm trying to get some kind of English medium crystal.

I'd be more than willing to meet for couple bottle cross sampling, what kind of phenolic flavor are you getting, what yeast did you ferm out with. Mine is only 8 days in but I didnt get anything not expected.
70% base, 12% smoked, 4% ea c40 85, black, choc and 2% Xtra Spec... 007 @ 64

This was my grain bill. I mashed at 152F repitching US-05 from a nut ale (I don't think that was an issue). The ferm temp kept in the 63F to 67F range. I hopped it very lightly with Summit (60) and UKG (20 and 10). I'll get a bottle to Bill (plus one for him) at the beginning of the next pick up so you can grab it when you come, or maybe we can coordinate our trips there. Thanks for the feedback. Hopefully by then it may mellow a bit.

43% 6.00 Vienna Malt
21% 3.00 Smoked Malt
21% 3.00 Rye Malt
4% 0.50 Carapils
11% 1.50 lb of cane sugar
100% 14.00 Pounds of Malt
20.00 Quarts
1.43 Quarts/Pounds

metic said:
Anyone interested in my Thomas Faucett Crystal II split? I could change to Crystal I if someone would take that. I'm trying to get some kind of English medium crystal.

I'll pick it up if no one else does by tomorrow.

I must be half an idiot. I can't seem to figure out how to add sacks to the group buy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back