Too sour, add flavored syrup?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corwin3083

Reaction score
Brewed a hopless rosemary ale a while back, and added some Jolly Pumpkin dregs to a gallon of it. Those JP dregs are vicious little bastards, and that gallon is now almost undrinkably sour.

Still, I'm going through a rough financial patch, so I thought I might bottle it anyway, and make some sort of flavored sugar syrup to add, as if it was a Berliner weisse. Don't drink that much, and a gallon will keep me for a week or two.

Question is, what flavor? I have some spare Tettnang, and some sweet gale, but I'm open to any good ideas anyone else might have. Beer's flavor is currently extremely sour with an aftertaste of rosemary. Anyone have any recommendations?

Well, 34 views so far, but no responses, so I guess this has turned into an experiment. I'll update with the results once I bottle this beer and make a syrup or two.

I would recommend blending it rather than adding flavored syrup. Do you have any other brews sitting around? A gallon of something that sour can go a long way, you might be able to blend it into 4+ gallons of a simple saison to give it a nice sour note.

corwin3083 said:
Brewed a hopless rosemary ale a while back, and added some Jolly Pumpkin dregs to a gallon of it. Those JP dregs are vicious little bastards, and that gallon is now almost undrinkably sour.

Still, I'm going through a rough financial patch, so I thought I might bottle it anyway, and make some sort of flavored sugar syrup to add, as if it was a Berliner weisse. Don't drink that much, and a gallon will keep me for a week or two.

Question is, what flavor? I have some spare Tettnang, and some sweet gale, but I'm open to any good ideas anyone else might have. Beer's flavor is currently extremely sour with an aftertaste of rosemary. Anyone have any recommendations?

I like rosemary with citrus -- maybe lime or grapefruit zest boiled in a simple syrup.

Blending isn't a bad idea; it's just that all the beers I currently have available are either sours (a berliner weisse and a sour blonde with ECY Bugfarm) or aren't appropriate to use for blending with this sort of sour beer (a belgian APA and a stout with sour cherries which is already sour enough). Plus it's only a gallon.

If you have some time you can brew a beer specifically for blending. 1 gallon might be enough. I have this gallon jug that has been souring for over a year that I just tried to blend with. At a 5:1 clean:sour ratio, it was still overpowering the base beer. You won't know until you try. You can experiment with small volumes.

Back