Pregnancy & Homemade Soda

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Dog_42

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So is homemade soda (like rootbeer, ginger ale, etc.) bad for expecting mothers?

I have a co-worker who has informed me that pregnant women should not have anything that is not pasteurized. I have a party coming up and I invited a few couples who are expecting their first child, so I wanted to make some homemade soda for them, while their husbands drink homebrew. I was planning on using a natural carbonation method because I don't want to buy another CO2 tank and regulator to force carb right now. Are there any issues with doing this?

It's all about risk mitigation when it comes to pregnancy. Can you eat that cold-cut turkey? Of course, just risk the rare listeria poisoning.

You'll have to ask the preggers to see how much risk they are mitigating during their terms.

No, I don't think caffeine free soda is a problem. I've heard lots of people saying that drinking carbonated beverages is bad, because it strips calcium in your bones, but most of that has been debunked recently.

It's all about risk mitigation when it comes to pregnancy. Can you eat that cold-cut turkey? Of course, just risk the rare listeria poisoning.

You'll have to ask the preggers to see how much risk they are mitigating during their terms.

+1 to risk mitigation. The problem is that people have no idea what the real risks are. The fact is that the risk they take in driving to your house probably far outweighs the risk of drinking your soda (or eating the cold-cut).

But it's an individual decision all mothers need to make for themselves. Only they know what level (and type) of risk they are comfortable with. My wife (preggers) would absolutely drink unpasturzied juice (or fresh fruit), but has limited the amount of time she spends driving (legitimate riskfactor for harm to baby).

Put out the soda, tell them how you made it, let them decide.

Don't forget that homemade soda has a very slight alcohol content due to using yeast to carbonate it. For me, it wasn't a problem and I let my kids drink it without blinking an eye. Other parents and expectant mothers might freak out. It's all about letting people make choices for themselves.

My homemade ginger ale has NO high fructose corn syrup, artificial flavors, colors, caffeine, or any other crap. Just sugar, water, ginger, and a squeeze of lemon. I think it's better than any store bought manufactured nonsense but others may not agree because if it's bottle carbed it will have about .25%- .5% ABV.

Thanks for the input all. I will definitely let everyone know how it was made and then let them decide...now to find some empty bottle to put it in. :D

Yooper said:
My homemade ginger ale has NO high fructose corn syrup, artificial flavors, colors, caffeine, or any other crap. Just sugar, water, ginger, and a squeeze of lemon.

Yooper, where is that recipe?

Latest posts

Back