Partial mash kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

llgriffin

Reaction score
So I just got a partial mash kit, it's pretty clear except one thing. I bring my wort up to about 160f for about 30-40 min with the grains in. When that's done I put the bag in a sieve and pour boiling water over (sparge?). My question is (instructions are a little confusing) do I keep the grain bag in during boil or is it done after the initial mash time?? I'm thinking it doesn't go in the boil but wanna make sure. Thanks

The grains do not stay in for the boil. You collect the wort from the mash and sparge and boil that. 160 is kind of a high mash temp, are you sure that's right?

Ya I mashed at about 150. Also I hydrated the yeast for about an hour. It said fifteen minutes but it took longer than expected to cool the wort, will the yeast still be ok do u think?

150 sounds better. I wouldn't worry about the yeast, I've done that before without apparent ill effects.
:mug:

Back