Pre-bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smartpart04

Reaction score
I currently have a brew in it's secondary fermentor but before I can bottle it, I need to transport it about 30 minutes because I moved. Is this acceptable or should I try to avoid moving the carboy?

If you have a choice, I would bottle it before moving it. If not, I would do whatever I could to minimize agitating the beer. The beer in the carboy should have a layer of CO2 over it so that would help.

I'll admit I've never personally done this, but I would think that probably the worst thing that's going to happen as a result of moving the carboy is that you stir up a little bit of sediment. Depending on how long it's been fermenting and whether there are still some fermentable sugars, the motion might also kick-start some of the yeast into another minor round of fermentation. Just be careful moving it and let it sit for another week or so before bottling, and you should be fine. Good luck with the move, and RDWHAHB.

Back