White Stringy Things in Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

utchwilly

Reaction score
I am just starting out with brewing and am concerned about my first batch of beer. I brewed up the caribou slobber extract kit a while back and let it sit in primary for 2 weeks. I then racked it to secondary and everything was fine for 10 days or so. We had a heat wave here in VA and my A/C was not on, well the beer got hot and sweated. I moved it to the basement and a couple days later noticed white stringy things on the surface. I am thinking I did not sanitize the stopper or airlock properly and got an infection. Can I salvage this beer?

photo.JPG

Hard to say from the picture. Take a sample and taste/smell it. If it passes those tests it is probably fine. Just keep a close eye on it.

Can't say what those white things are but I can tell you that you are probably fine. It could just be some yeast dropping out of suspension and clinging to the side of your carboy. Temperature is most crucial during the beginning of fermentation. After 2 weeks it should have been done with fermentation so you should be fine. I can't tell you how many times I have thought I messed my beer up and it was fine so I would not worry about it.

Doesnt look like anything to worry about - but do a smell/taste test before bottling to make sure. If it seems okay, then it'll probably be okay

It does indeed smell and taste good. I will bottle today, thank you for the help. I am assuming that I should rack from under the white stuff and try to bottle only the clean-looking beer.

Back