Pour Over Coffee Ratio

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pshankstar

BIAB Homebrewer & Coffee Roaster
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I ordered a Hairo pour over coffee maker and decanter and made some coffee in it last night and again this morning. I had used a 10:1 ratio and was curious to know what others use as their ratio when using the pour over method. Does it change on the bean you are using? Or possibly the region which the beans come from? Or is it always the same?

I am no coffee expert, but the 10:1 ratio seems to make a very strong cup of coffee. Nothing wrong with it, just very strong. It seems like the amount of beans I use for a 400g of water, so 40g of beans is about the same amount (+/-) I use for my drip coffee pot (12 cups). Granted it nothing special.

So with that being said, please share what ratio you use when making coffee using the pour over method. Thanks in advance!
:coff4:

Last edited by a moderator:
10:1 is a bit strong for my taste. When I was using a Malita cone I was using about 14:1. Actually 2 tablespoons of coffee and 10 ounces of water which is 20g and 280 g. I was not measuring by weight at that time.

Thanks @beermanpete! I used the 14:1 ratio this morning and it is a lot better. My wife thinks the coffee is too strong and bitter. Even after the milk and sugar she always adds to coffee.

I know this will be one I need to keep playing with to find the sweet spot for taste. What ratio do the other pour over users use?

I use a chemex but I don't bother with going by weight, as I'm usually trying to both make pour-over coffee and breakfast for a baby with one hand, and holding said baby with the other hand. I use 5 level scoops of grounds to 22oz of water. The strength of the coffee definitely varies with the type and roast, which is fine with me

I use 15:1 or 16:1. Meaning if I'm off bit I don't sweat it. I've been pretty happy with the results since roasting my own beans.

22.2 grams of coffee with 400 grams of water will give you an 18:1 ratio, and 23.5 will give you a 17:1...those are probably going to still get you a "that is strong" from the Mrs. LoL!!! Just ignore those for about a month...it takes that long for their taste to adapt!!:D You will probably find them a tad weak if you have done a few at 14:1:coff3:

Back