Help with first BIAB recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yipp

Reaction score
I have done a few extract and partial extract kits and would like to get into the next stage of brewing (all grain). I plan do use the BIAB method going forward. Currently I have basic extract brewing equipment including 5 gallon pot. I recently purchased a strong paint strainer to use in the 5 gal pot for BIAB. I would like to brew the following recipe and still end of up with a 5 gallon batch.

http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/1645/bells-two-hearted-ipa

I believe it can be done by doing a partial mash, but I don't fully understand how a partial mash works. Can anyone help explain (specifically referencing the attached recipe) the steps or modifications I would need to take to do this?

*If this recipe won't work with my equipment limitations, does anyone have any recommendations on a similar all grain recipe that would work?

Basically partial mash is replacing some of the grains with malt extract (liquid or dry). I've never done that so I can't help with converting all grain to PM.

But have you thought of getting a bigger kettle. For $36 you can have a 10 gallon pot which will allow you to brew that recipe. I did a 17 lb grain bill in mine, so it's possible with BIAB (you may have to sparge a bit or add a small amount of water after draining the grains).

Last edited by a moderator:
My partial mash recipes are 3.5 -4 lbs grains, 3.3lb can of Liquid extract, 1 -2 lbs af Dried malts extract, yeast and hops to schedule. steep the grains for 45 min @152 degrees, sparge with 1,5 gallons 170 degree water. bring to boil, add extracts. boil hops to schedule(usually 60min, 15min, and flameout). chill, then wort into primary, top off to 5.25 gallons. pitch yeast. let sit for 2 weeks(checking FG). bottle condition for 10-21 days(checking 1 after 10 days,sometime they are good by then). all in a 5 gallon pot.

My first partial mash recipe I used nearly 15.5lbs of grain and 6lbs LME (along with 2lbs of sugar). I split the boil up into two pots on the stove; a 5gal and a 7gal. For boiling, I believe I had 4gal in one and 3.5 in the other. The partial mash went right along with how an AG brew would go; mash at your desired temp, lift bag out and put in second kettle of proper temp to sparge at 170. I added the LME part way through fermentation so as not to start with a huge gravity.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/brewing-mephistopheles-inspired-beer-380492/

I already made this more confusing by accident. I didn't mean to ask about partial mashing (still new to the terms). I should have asked about using extra sparge water to get up to 5 gallons.

I boil 4 gallons after extracts are added. it boils down to about 3.25 gallons, top off the 5.25 in the fermentor. I wouldn't try to boil 5 full gallons in a 5 gallon pot.

maxi-BIAB, or basically doing a thick mash and then a dilution, as it is called in some circles, is not something I would try on my first all grain, first BIAB batch (nor have I dared after several BIABs at this point). I suggest that you consider scaling this back to your equipment limitations. Remember, any all grain recipe from exotic to plain jane can be scaled to your equipment.

Do try to get at least a 10 gallon pot for 5 gallon BIAB full boils. And since you are getting a 10 gallon, you might as well get 20 gallon, so you can do 10 gallon batches... Only kidding.. But seriously..

Do try to get at least a 10 gallon pot for 5 gallon BIAB full boils. And since you are getting a 10 gallon, you might as well get 20 gallon, so you can do 10 gallon batches... Only kidding.. But seriously..
I wish I would have planned ahead. Though lifting a bag from a 10 gallon big beer batch seems like it would have it's own challenges.

I tried something like this with my first BIAB attempt. Not smart. I thought by increasing my grain bill and accommodating for a lower efficiency I could top up and still get the full 5 gallon batch. It wasn't worth it. I have found I can make a really decent 3.5 gallon batch in the 5 gallon pot hit around 75% efficiency and then I get to do another brew a little sooner. :) If you really want a full 5 gallon batch and are using a 5 gallon pot as others have mentioned add some extract use another pot.
So that said if you want to convert this recipe to a partial. Your best bet is to use all your specialty grains as they are and replace some of your base malt with extract. Liquid or dry shouldn't matter just pop the numbers into beer smith and your good to go. For your first go however I would measure your efficiency before adding the extract. I found over my first few BIAB attempts my efficiency changed a lot. But once I got my rhythm down it stabilized really well.

Back