Official Broken Hydrometer Count

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Broke my first today. Pinched the top too hard and it shattered.

823 + 1 = 824

+2 = 826

Accidentally dropped one into a pot and then gripped the extra one too hard out of anger.

lauched mine across the room somehow....still not sure how...maybe ghosts.

+1=831

+1 = 832

My first one. Only 7 months after buying that damn thing. Shook it over the sink to get excess water off. Like a *******, I let it connect with the side of the sink. Still seeing red for being such a fool.

+1 = 833

Opened a vintner's best equipment kit at the shop today, inside was a broken ALLA hydrometer.
Called distributor, new one is on the way.

This still counts... right?

So assuming we're not counting Jnco's,

+1=833

Rinsing the testing tube in the bathroom for the OG reading of a cider. Tile floor. Just dropped it, no extenuating circumstances. Never did get the OG.

This was in January. That batch just won Best In Show. I'm thinking of making this part of my process.

The replacement is .003 off. Easy enough to solve for, but I'm getting a refractometer soon.

I think this is the second time I've posted this same thing in the last few months.... no breakage, but I had to ditch a second one because the paper slipped and it was way off. Luckily, 509inc had given me his spare refracto and I have my wife's wine hydro for FG readings.

+2 within a week!!! one by way of dropping in sink while rinsing. and the other by way of (believe it or not) an evil loaf of bread!!!!

New count = :ban:841 :ban:

+1=842, let my friend do his first all grain batch on my equipment and yeah. My poor hydrometer has been my one and only through my first 55 gallons.

Just found this thread. Broke mine (that I've had since 2005!) a week ago while using it to squish some chipotle peppers on the side of my fermenter after checking the gravity. Really really stupid. Now it's in the bottom of my porter, and I cut my foot on glass that fell on the floor.

Definitely going to wrap my racking cane in a paint strainer... don't want any bits of glass going in! I'm not super concerned since I'm pretty sure they'd get caught in my bottle filler, plus they're heavier than beer, but still I feel like an idiot. On the plus side, it's a fantastic tasting porter.

total=845

QuercusMax said:
Just found this thread. Broke mine (that I've had since 2005!) a week ago while using it to squish some chipotle peppers on the side of my fermenter after checking the gravity. Really really stupid. Now it's in the bottom of my porter, and I cut my foot on glass that fell on the floor.

Definitely going to wrap my racking cane in a paint strainer... don't want any bits of glass going in! I'm not super concerned since I'm pretty sure they'd get caught in my bottle filler, plus they're heavier than beer, but still I feel like an idiot. On the plus side, it's a fantastic tasting porter.

total=845

Don't forget to watch out for the lead beads!

Broke mine 2 weeks ago during my first AG batch. Luckily I was able to get my pre boil gravity and figure out my efficiency.

846+1=847

Does "lost" count? Cannot find hide nor hair of mine anywhere in my house. And it's never left my house!

847 + 1=848

848+1=849

Didn't know there was a count! Dropped my Hydrometer when I brewed my last batch. The new one made it through this weeks in once piece (knocks on wood).

+1 had it 2 years I guess it was time. maybe can replace with the fancy three piece set.

857 + 1 = 858

Left it on the table, and roommate doesn't know how to control his laptop bag while walking...

858+1 = 859

Brewing cider for swmbo. I hit the 2 week mark and decided to take a reading. I set the hydrometer in a glass cup first and the second I set it down, I heard it clack the tip. :smack:

Latest posts

Back