Wyeast 4184 (Sweet Mead) Stuck

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thundernick

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I started my next 5 gallon batch, but it seems to be stuck! Here's the recipe I used:

15 lbs honey
4 teaspoons acid blend
1/2 oz yeast extract
1 pack of Wyeast 4184

I read on other threads that sometimes adding yeast nutrient will change the PH and make the yeast start doing it's thing, but I've had no luck. Should I just give up on 4184 and pitch another yeast? I was hoping for a yeast that would leave it sweet so I don't need to back sweeten this time.

EDIT: It's been 48 hours since I pitched the yeast.

Thanks,

Nick

48 hours??? and you are worried about it being stuck? I once used that yeast, and even less honey (about 12lb on a 5 gallon batch) and it went from 1.084 to 1.086 over 72 hours, and then finally went down. I think there was a temp thing to explain the going up (ie fermentor temp went from a 75F at intial pitch down to a 65F at 3 day check), but the dang thing wouldn't seem to move down. Kicked off I think at the 1 week period.

Here are some tips.
1. if you can -step feed the neutrient. infact from what I'm seeing you have no nuetrient in there? Or is that the yeast extract? Anyhow I step feed, figure out the total I plan to put in, put 1/4 of it at pitch, 1/4 at 12 hours and 1/4 at 24 hours. When sugar gets to 50% of OG in your case, I think you had an OG of about 1.100, then at 1.050 put in the rest.
2. Stir at least 1/day, or 1/12hours until you get to 1/2 sugar in the hydroreading. then cover and let go. Sitring somewhat vigeriously while above 1/2 sugar so you get a little more O2 into the mix, it helps the yeast.
3. LOTS of patience.
Good luck.

Thanks for the guidance.

I'm using Wyeast nutrient (heres a picture: http://hopdawgs.ca/image/cache/data/Wyeast_Nutrient-474x441-500x500.jpg). I added 1/2 tsp at the beginning, which is what the guidance says. However once I noticed it didn't start fermenting, I read that if I add a tsp to it, then it will help the PH and cause it to start fermenting. So as of right now, there are 1.5 tsp of yeast nutrient. Can I "overfeed" the yeast?

I've been stirring twice a day, once in the morning and once at night.

It's just confusing because this is my 3rd batch. The other two were fermenting the next day when I woke up, pretty actively. This one seems to not be doing anything. Should I just be more patient or should I pitch more yeast tonight?

Edit: Also one more thing. I'm kind of afraid of it getting infected. I was very clean and sanitized everything, and I only take the lid off to stir. Is it likely that it could still get infected before the fermentation?

Thanks for your help! I love these forums.

Nick

Both times I've used this yeast, it has been slow to start. So again, patience. From what I've read, it is not uncommon/known issue that this yeast is sometimes slow to start. pH can be a factor. In some ways ideal is I think around a 5 or maybe a 4.5 (I forget) but the gist is if it is below 7 then it will make it harder for a lot of other things to get started, and below some point - 4? it is hard for the yeast to get started.

The big thing you need is to post some gravity numbers, we can make a swag at your OG if you don't have it. 15 lb on 5g should have an og of about 1.110, or if you have a bit more liquid, maybe as low as 1.100 (5.5 gallons total volume). Looking for airbubbles in the airlock only tells you that you have a good seal on the fermentor and that CO2 is escaping while you watch.

As to infection, I didn't have a problem with mine and as I said it seemed like it took a week before I got any real activity out of it. If you are pretty sure on your sanitation, I say let it go a day or 2 with just stiring, get a gravity reading and perhaps a bit more nutrient.

I just looked up your nutrient, and while the nutrient given to yeast is the same for beer or wine or mead, it looks like that it is calibrated for beer in its instructions(note1), not mead. In terms of nutrient from source (ie not from aditive) I think beer has 100's or 1000's of units, wine is in the uper 10's and mead has like 1 or 2 units of nutrient. Up shot is, the 1/2 tsp /5 gallons is WAY low. Usually (an other products show tis) it is closer to 1 tsp per gallon, so your inital toss of 1/2 for 5 gallons is about 1/10th of what you needed.

I'd bump add another 2 tsp when you next stir and then 1 to 2 tsp every time you stir until you've added between 8 to 10 tsp.

note1 - looking over nutrient at midwest, I noticed the description for your product had the word 'wort' in it. Wort is unfermented beer. Must is unfermented wine or mead. (unfermented is effectivly yeast not pitched yet) here is a link to the yeast additive page at midwest so you can look at product and get an idea of what I'm saying. http://www.midwestsupplies.com/homebrewing-equipment/yeast-management/additives-nutrients.html

Awesome thanks so much. I'm going to do that, and if it doesn't pick up within 2 days would you say it's a good idea to pitch more yeast? Should I just go with a different kind of yeast that is more friendly to fermentation?

I'd personally give it a week before panicing. Again hydrometer readings. But if after a week, it hadn't started, I'd look to one of they other wine yeasts. Since you mention a sweat mead yeast, I'd aim for one of the ones with low alcohol tolerances.

I checked the hydrometer, however I realized that since my hydrometer is meant for beer it only goes up to 1.080. It's way up there though, it floats really high so I'd say it is around 1.100. I checked again today and no change. I added more nutrients and beat the hell out of it to try and get some oxygen in there. If it doesn't take off by Sunday night, then I'm going to the brewing store to get some more yeast. I'm deff not going to get wyeast 4184 again. Monday will mark 1 week.

Just an update for anyone who happens to find this later down the road.. I came home today and it is bubbling away! It took 6 days for it to start fermenting. Every day I've added nutrients and oxygen (by stirring), and it's finally taking off.

Thank you ACbrewer for the guidance. I really appreciate it.

Nick

Did the smack pack plump up quickly like the beer ones do? I had one that I smacked on Saturday and it took until yesterday Tuesday to be what I would call ready to pitch? I went ahead and pitched a different yeast on sunday when the pack looked nearly dead. Now I am debating if I should use it at all or not. I may make a starter and save it for later.

Just to tell you about my experience with this yeast.i thought i had stuck aswell.. but no... it fermentet down to 1.020... and afer racking it picket up again... ant its down to 1.014 now... still going sloooowly... its cold in my fermenter room. so its clearing up now and im refining the taste by aging it until new years

Sorry to res an old thread, but I figured someone might appreciate my experience with this yeast.

I didn't take a FG, but it ended up being the best mead I've had. My family likes it sweet. What I've done in the past is use champagne yeast, and then back sweeten. It would end up being really strong with a bite, and a little sweet from back sweetening. With this one it was just perfect. Good balance of sweet and bitter from alcohol. It tasted really really good.

Sorry to res an old thread, but I figured someone might appreciate my experience with this yeast.

I didn't take a FG, but it ended up being the best mead I've had. My family likes it sweet. What I've done in the past is use champagne yeast, and then back sweeten. It would end up being really strong with a bite, and a little sweet from back sweetening. With this one it was just perfect. Good balance of sweet and bitter from alcohol. It tasted really really good.
Brother, it's your thread, so if you wanted to add to it, then that's great, especially as people often forget to close, or post a conclusion to a problem/question.

It's most excellent to read that it's worked out fine and that the mead is a good one.

I find that a lot of people, particularly here, don't "get the point" i.e. that with meads mentioned in documents from antiquity, that there's not samples left, that they didn't understand fermentation or even yeasts (other than they can make stuff "go bad"), etc etc.

These so called "mead yeasts" are little more than marketing nonsense. I haven't read of any academic papers where ancient samples, or residue was used to get a DNA profile, to enable any yeast producer to replicate a "genuine" mead yeast.

If they have "mead" in the title, then people, particularly those less experienced, will jump at them, thinking that they're the right stuff to use. I'm not saying that the makers won't have done some sort of research etc, but I really don't believe they should be marketed like this.

This particular yeast, I've tried 3 times and had problems each time (albeit earlier in my mead making). I've learned a lot since then (and yes, reading your thread is making me think that perhaps it's time I tried it again), but right now, I don't like it much at all, I had 2 attempts where it just didn't start at all and one that started but promptly stuck at about the 1.050 mark.

So currently it resides in my "waste of money, finicky PITA" list......

One of the issues I notice, particularly here at HBT, is that people have problems because they try too hard to use beer making type methods i.e. "all the fermentables in up front". Yet they use a wine yeast with a 14, 16 or even 18% ABV tolerance. So they pile a sh1tload of honey in, get a higher than necessary gravity and then wonder why they have problems ("it's never happened with my beer making" being a favourite moan). With that in mind I often find myself wanting to scream at them "cos it's not f*****g beer is it".

Now I notice that for your first few posts, you didn't include a gravity reading, but on the basis of experience and knowing that you will have likely used a "US gallon" measure, 15lb in 5 gallons would have given you quite a reasonably high gravity - well reasonable when using a dry wine yeast, rather than a liquid one.

Dry active yeasts have much higher cell counts than liquid yeasts that seem to be preferred by beer makers. This yeast has a published tolerance of 11% ABV, which would have equated to a drop of about 80 to 81 gravity points. The more extra sugars you have in the must above the required amount to the approximate target strength, the harder it is for the yeast to get going, or as you found out, not that they didn't get going but just that they took a lot longer in their lag phase as the colony was developing enough to show signs of active fermentation.

Now if it did indeed drop a bit more than 80 or so points to give you a bit more than 11%, thats fine. A lot of the published tolerance numbers will have been derived from wine musts or beer worts. Mead/honey musts are a little harder to work out, as honey doesn't naturally have the nutrient elements that grape/fruit/malt type mixes have.

Your comment about "can I over feed yeast" ? Well, it would seem that we are routinely under feeding them. Yes, you can over feed, but any nutrients and nitrogen elements added that the yeast don't use, will be left in the must and may be available for any spoilage organisms that can get to them.

This link is from an article that the great Ken Schramm wrote some years back in Zymurgy magazine. Some of it is a bit "sciencey", but equally, it gives some guidance of nitrogen levels that should be considered. Personally I prefer to use FermaidK and DAP for nutritional requirements, because it's got good published data to work out what you need (in parts per million per gramme per litre) so you can work out in some detail what you're likely gonna need, and tailor your amounts accordingly.

Given what I've alluded to above, it might have been easier for you to have made the must up a bit lower gravity-wise, then added small increments of honey to boost the gravity a.k.a. step feeding, so the yeast might have had an easier time of life to start with (the comment of "you've only had it going for X hours and are worrying about a problem" was quite fair, especially if you come from a beer making background - beers seem to routinely start fermenting much faster, from what I've read anyway).

Hopefully that lot will give you some more suggestions to think on for any other batches you make - truly, it's not hard, but it's a bit different from beers and wines, and can take a bit of consideration before piling in and pitching the yeast.

Again, I'm glad to read it's turned out good. If I do try that bloody yeast again, I'm likely to make a starter first, rather than just hoping that the pack does it's thing, post-smack that is. Here, and over at Gotmead, there's some posts about people using the 1388 Belgian ale yeast, but it seems that after smacking the yeast pack, some have had them swell within the suggested period, while others have had to wait nearly 24 hours for the pack to do it's thing. Suggesting that it may indeed need the starter method. I can't say for certain, I haven't tried the 1388 yet.....

Good luck with any other batches you try........

I recently started my first batch of mead with Wyeast 4184, and it took well over a week to show signs of life (and developed a small mold infection that I think I may well have actually nipped early enough that it won't be an issue). Good to hear it turned out well. From what I gather, yeah, it's a picky bugger and the smack-pack is in no way enough to innoculate a 5 gallon batch properly, even though it claims to be.

It's been bubbling along at a steady, low rate since then. I check on it every couple days, though I've not gotten a SG reading in a while. Maybe I'll do that tomorrow. I've got some of the Belgian 1388-based stuff going in my 2nd batch (2 1-gallon tests based on the BOMM recipe that's been flying around, although I've screwed the pooch when it comes to aeration and maybe nutrient addition as well). One's a orange blossom honey, the other's off-the-shelf clover, just to see what sort of difference it makes.

At any rate, I'm hopefuly. I don't know that I'll be using 4184 for mead again with the troublesome start I had, but early samples of apple cider made with it seemed to be the favorite amongst my friends. I'm new to the whole game, but more and more I'm convinced that yeast is yeast is yeast, and that while there may be variations between strains and what they like/dislike and what they impart to the final product, there's not really such a thing as a "mead" yeast, or a "cider" yeast. They can all do the job, it just comes down to how they do it and how you feel about the end product.

I recently made a 5 gal batch of melomel with this yeast, it went from 1.110 down to 0.996 so it can perform if treated properly. I made a 2L starter on a stir plate then used pure O2 to oxygenate the must, and berries are said to help the yeast. I also did a staggered nutrient addition

Just a conclusion for this thread, my mead turned out excellent. While the yeast is finnicky, it ended up working very well and gave me exactly what I wanted.

I'd recommend this yeast, but maybe go with a little lower OG and provide lots of nutrients for the yeast. If you can, oxygenate with pure 02 as well, and create a large starter. Those were my lessons learned.

mead1.jpg

mead2.jpg

Back