Mango Habanero Wheat Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
forgot to mention a comment from my wife who usually doesn't care for the taste of my home brews. Her comment " This beer might not last too long" she is more of a Coors light style drinker

I'm about to brew this today. What are anyone's thoughts about adding "sweet" peppers at flameout and in the secondary along with the habs to give more pepper flavor?

I'm in the middle of making this beer and I brewed the wheat beer and let it in the primary fermenter for 2 weeks and yesterday racked it to the secondary on top of 10 fresh mangoes that I previously cut up and froze. This morning it is fermenting again , is this normal ? ( This is my 1st time adding fruit in a secondary)

any advice is appreciated

thanks
downward

Mine did the same thing when I added the mangos. I added 5lbs for 2 weeks and I'm pretty sure they completely fermented because I kegged my batch yesterday and could barely taste the mango, so I'm going to try back sweetening with some pure mango juice to balance out the heat.

Agreed. Mango doesnt add much flavor but blends nice with the citra hops for aroma and a sweet flavor that mixes well with the heat in my opinion

Not sure if I mentioned this, this recipe placed in a North Carolina Homebrew competition recently 3rd place. It was my second batch of it. My first batch was much better I thought, I only added 1 Hab to secondary the second time. so next year I'm going to go back to 2 Habs and go for first place overall

This recipe sounded interesting so I did my own take on it since I'm a new homebrewer. I used Northern Brewer's American Wheat beer for the base and used 1 Habenero in the boil.

SG was 1.041
2 weeks primary ferm then racked to the secondary with 8 fresh mango cut up.
after 7 days I started to add another pound of store bought frozen mango chunks (thawed out first) every 2 days then I added one habanero cut up for the last 2 days. Total secondary was 2 weeks.
Final SG was 1.05 for a ABV=4.6%

I bottled it and after one week I tasted it yesterday.

Very good mango flavor with a habanero finish, minor heat . My only disappointment was that it doesn't have very good head? Maybe due to the fresh fruit?:confused:

This recipe sounded interesting so I did my own take on it since I'm a new homebrewer. I used Northern Brewer's American Wheat beer for the base and used 1 Habenero in the boil.

SG was 1.041
2 weeks primary ferm then racked to the secondary with 8 fresh mango cut up.
after 7 days I started to add another pound of store bought frozen mango chunks (thawed out first) every 2 days then I added one habanero cut up for the last 2 days. Total secondary was 2 weeks.
Final SG was 1.05 for a ABV=4.6%

I bottled it and after one week I tasted it yesterday.

Very good mango flavor with a habanero finish, minor heat . My only disappointment was that it doesn't have very good head? Maybe due to the fresh fruit?:confused:

Did you add the mango skins also or just the meat? The skin seems to have some oils that could affect head retention. I was planning to brew this and thought on using the skins for extra flavor but it may not be a good idea if you care for a good head.

I have always used the meat of the fresh mangoes. Never had a problem with head retention or anything but I've done 2 runs. Maybe it's because you used the frozen chunks. Glad you got the good mango flavor and the slight tingle aftertaste of the habanero. Sounds like you nailed it!

Going to make this soon--anyone have any idea if it gets better after a few months or even longer?

Thanks

Has anyone brewed this recently? I'm planning to do so in a week or two and am looking to see if there are additional comments.

My only experience with using habaneros in beer was with a porter. Then I made an extract of 4 cut up habs (no seeds or white flesh) in 3 cups of vodka. Let them soak for 1 day then removed the peppers. With this 'tincture' I dosed the beer. About 2 cups per 5 gallons. Perfect heat for the porter - lasted 10+ minutes on the tongue and in the throat.

Back