Don't be afraid to think outside the box

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTheKing

Reaction score
You don't need a super fancy fermentation fridge and cooling system in place (although, I do) to ferment beer in. I've got a couple guys at work just getting into brewing who are getting somewhat overwhelmed with everything you "NEED" to have. I was kind of showing them tonight, you don't NEED to have all this stuff, although it certainly is nice. There are ways around it.

I decided to do a SMaSH to try out some new hops. Fermentation fridge was full with a couple of batches I did up Sunday, and I was in the mood to brew tonight.

So, hitup the grocery store and picked up some 2.5 gallon water jugs. Mashed a standard 7-ish gallon 2-row pale, split it up and boiled with different hops in each, same yeast for each.

Yanked the spigot and sanitized each container. Since it's going to be in the mid 80's all week here in Denver, I filled my mash tun up with cool water and set a few 20 oz bottles of water in the freezer to chuck in tomorrow morning before I leave for work.

Tried to float a bucket for blowoff in there, but it wasn't happening. Instead I just mixed in some starsan to the "cooling" water. 1/2" OD tubing fits in where the spigot would have been.

Racked wort in, pitched yeast, and we're off to the races. :mug:

RDWHAHB

941602_718367673680_617170240_n.jpg

Cool idea! I doubt that's going to put your buddy's mind at ease though, definitely brewing 102!!

Worked like a champ, swapping ice bottles every day kept it at 65 even with our 90* weekend sitting in my kitchen. Punched a hole opposite the "drain" and could pour it gently straight into the bottling bucket. Fermented clean from 1.050-ish down to 1.010 on all three.

The Motueka tastes awesome even warm and flat, but we already knew that :) Got three 1L swingtops out of each "fermenter" leaving the trub/yeast behind with no issues. Maybe could have squeezed another bomber in there but we're not going for quantity here.

966896_721039768780_2129574793_o.jpg

Nice - I'm thinking of using a large drink cooler as a swamp cooler for this summer. Seems that would be better than just a plastic bin.

Latest posts

Back