Can you guys recommend recipes for my spent grains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elysium

Reaction score
I love those musli bars they sell in Europe (especially in Germany)...so if anyone has such a recipe, then please post it. One issue for me is the storage of what I cook from the spent grains. Does any of you know a recipe that produces a long-lasting food from my spent grains?

Thanks in advance.

NOTE: I'd like something like this energy bar recipe.....but with more spent grain in it (if possible)

The only long lasting food I make from spent grain is dog treats. But, I tend to blend a lot of spent grains up at once, measure it out in half cup servings, and then freeze it for future batches of bread, pizza dough, etc.

The only long lasting food I make from spent grain is dog treats. But, I tend to blend a lot of spent grains up at once, measure it out in half cup servings, and then freeze it for future batches of bread, pizza dough, etc.

ok, makes sense. Do you have recipes for pizza dough and home made bread? It'd be great to make bread from my maris otter spent grains.
Thanks for the reply.

ok, makes sense. Do you have recipes for pizza dough and home made bread? It'd be great to make bread from my maris otter spent grains.
Thanks for the reply.
The pizza one is simple, take your current dough recipe, add 1/2 cup blended spent grain, and replace the water with second runnings. I like to cook mine on the barbeque.

The bread is essentially the same as the dutch oven recipes you'll find posted here, but more bare bones.

3 cups of flour
1/2 cup spent grain
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
12 oz second runnings
1 tablespoon vinegar
1/4 teaspoon yeast

• Mix it all together and let sit for 18 hours.
  • Knead it about 10 tims and form a ball, transfer it onto some parchment paper (sprayed with PAM), and place inside a round pot. Let Rise for an hour.
  • Sprinkle the top with flour, and slice a 1/2" deep slit across the top.
  • Preheat oven to 500 with dutch oven inside. Your bread will keep rising and the slice on top will open up at this time.
  • Place the parchment paper and dough in the dutch oven, drop to 425 degrees and cook covered for 30 mins
  • Remove cover and keep at 425 for another 30 mins
  • Place bread on wire rack and let stand for another half hour
  • Enjoy

Here's the finished product
beer_bread1.jpg

I'd to get a pizza stone with that metal pan that goes under it for the bbq. Bread 7 pizza with pin oak smoke seems pretty good with the grains I dried & saved.

Latest posts

Back